Re: special pre fixe veg meals at Tommy Toy's

  • sunny_outdoors
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      a poster on this list said:

      I've had the veg option at Tommy Toys. Close to some of the worst
      chinese food I've ever had and the veg option was pretty unoriginal.
      A block of uncooked tofu with a little sesame sauce on top and if I
      remember right, steamed vegetables. And yes, it was expensive.

      ====

      My veg menu will be (it's Asian/French Fusion).... (I'll tell you how
      it is, after 1/30. It's a dinner party for a relative. I'm glad
      they are making special arrangements for solo vegetarian ~me~)

      It will have no chicken broth or oyster sauce,
      looks like the pastry puff and mousse will not be vegan...
      (and I'll see if they have brown rice... maybe it'll extra..grin**)

      Appetizer

      Sautéed Diced Vegetables served in Iceberg Lettuce Petals

      Soup

      Tomato Bisque Oven Baked and Crowned with French Puff Pastry

      Entrées

      Assorted Fresh Vegetables with Bean Curd and Young Chives Braised in
      Light Sauce

      Sautéed Water Chestnuts and Snow Peas

      Eggplant in Hunan Sauce Accompanied with Steamed White Rice

      Dessert

      Peach Mousse in Strawberry Compote

      --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, sunny outdoors <sunny_outdoors@...>
      wrote:

      > The meals are not family style.  That means everyone will get their
      own individual meals.
      > Cost is around $50 per head.
      >

      > That means I will get a full 4 course veg meal rather than one veg
      dish  while I watch everyone else eat an 8 course meat-entree....

      > This is most expensive Chinese Restaurant in SF.
      >
      > read the last line...
      > http://www.tommytoys.com/menus/index.html
      >
      > in almost every restaurant, if you are to make prearrangements and
      willing to spend extra $, restaurants  will usually try to
      accommodate you

    • Chris Marco
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
        Thanks for the post Sunny�though I'm not sure if you're in favor of eating at Tommy Toy's or not...

        After looking at their dead-animal-filled menu, I figured I'd post another link with a recommendation that folks take their precious recession-dollars over to Millenium for the holidays to support a fabulous restaurant that's supporting our vegan ethics everyday, not just on special order, for extra $$'s.

        I was pleasantly surprised to see Millenium is offering a Frugal Foodie Menu for these trying financial times. That's certainly nice and considerate of them, but I think it also means they could use some support right now too. Compared to other big cities, San Francisco is seriously lacking when it comes to quality vegan food. I know I would hate to see Millenium go away, wouldn't you?

        Maybe we should consider organizing an SFVS holiday meal at Millenium? They support us, we support them...

        Here's their link (http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/restaurant/events.html) and I've also pasted some of their current offerings below for a quick look.

        The Frugal Foodie Menu

        Sunday-Wednesday each week

        3-course prix fixe menu

        $38/person; $12/optional wine pairing

        We are sensitive to the effects of this financial crash & miss you
        all dearly! Come back! We can make it a little easier on the
        pocketbook. Sunday-Wednesday we offer a SWEET 3-course prix fixe option
        for just $38/person with an optional wine pairing for $12. Choose from
        selected items off our regular menu & we will happily match each
        course with a selection from our wine list. We want you to spill
        something on your shirt...not lose it!

        Winter Solstice Menu

        Thursday-Sunday, the entire month of December

        $45/person; $23/optional wine pairing*

        4 course prix fixe menu in addition to our regular menu

        Plant your Narcissus & light your pagan candles...then come eat at
        Millennium. Feast on early winter delectables & enjoy a Hot
        Brandied Cider...or wine pairing if you so desire...

        Convert A Carnivore
        Bring a Carnivorous
        Friend into Millennium on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month and
        you and your friend will receive a 25% discount, excluding alcohol. The
        next Convert A Carnivore is Wednesday November 26th and December 10th.

        Holiday Cooking Class

        Sunday December 14th, 2008

        10am-3pm (approx), $135/person

        It's that time of year again to send that subtle message to your
        culinary challenged friend or family member by giving them the early
        holiday gift of a Millennium Cooking Class. Who needs a stuffy
        Escoffier culinary text book when The "Eric Tucker Socking Stuffer" is
        available for your kitchen arts pleasure? Join Eric for a winter
        Farmer's Market tour & holiday menu hands-on tutorial.

        Optional opportunity to meet the farmers that provide for Millennium
        & it's guests...join Eric Saturday December 13th @ the Ferry
        Building for a guided tour through the Farmer's Market. Gather up your
        produce for the week & talk about the finishing touches to the
        class's menu the following day...10am @ the CUESA information booth
        located in the front of the building, just below the clock tower.

        Call Erica to register: 415.345.3900 x11

        New Years Eve

        Wednesday December 31, 2008

        5-course prix fixe menu

        $85/person; $35/optional wine pairing

        Complimentary glass of sparkling wine upon seating

        2 seatings: 5:30pm-7pm & 8:00pm-9:30pm

        New Year's Eve is quickly approaching and we plan to make you
        sparkle...or at least feel sparkly on the inside. Come bathe your
        insides with bubbles from a champagne flute & indulge your fancy
        appetite with one of Eric Tucker's signature "Auld Lang Syne" menus. We
        will start taking reservations on December 1st...so start planning!

      • Philip Gelb
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
          there is quite a bit of exceptional vegan food in the bay area,
          though of course not nearly as many high end restaurants as NYC, not
          surprisingly.
          If you look off the beaten track you might find a couple of surprise
          options for very high end vegan food in this area :)

          phil

          Philip Gelb
          vegetarian chef
          shakuhachi player, teacher