special pre fixe veg meals at Tommy Toy's

  • sunny outdoors
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
      The meals are not family style.  That means everyone will get their own individual meals.
      Cost is around $50 per head.

      That means I will get a full 4 course veg meal rather than one veg dish  while I watch everyone else eat an 8 course meat-entree....

      This is most expensive Chinese Restaurant in SF.

      read the last line...
      http://www.tommytoys.com/menus/index.html

      in almost every restaurant, if you are to make prearrangements and willing to spend extra $, restaurants  will usually try to accommodate you

    • sunny_outdoors
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        a poster on this list said:

        I've had the veg option at Tommy Toys. Close to some of the worst
        chinese food I've ever had and the veg option was pretty unoriginal.
        A block of uncooked tofu with a little sesame sauce on top and if I
        remember right, steamed vegetables. And yes, it was expensive.

        ====

        My veg menu will be (it's Asian/French Fusion).... (I'll tell you how
        it is, after 1/30. It's a dinner party for a relative. I'm glad
        they are making special arrangements for solo vegetarian ~me~)

        It will have no chicken broth or oyster sauce,
        looks like the pastry puff and mousse will not be vegan...
        (and I'll see if they have brown rice... maybe it'll extra..grin**)

        Appetizer

        Sautéed Diced Vegetables served in Iceberg Lettuce Petals

        Soup

        Tomato Bisque Oven Baked and Crowned with French Puff Pastry

        Entrées

        Assorted Fresh Vegetables with Bean Curd and Young Chives Braised in
        Light Sauce

        Sautéed Water Chestnuts and Snow Peas

        Eggplant in Hunan Sauce Accompanied with Steamed White Rice

        Dessert

        Peach Mousse in Strawberry Compote

        --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, sunny outdoors <sunny_outdoors@...>
        wrote:

        > The meals are not family style.  That means everyone will get their
        own individual meals.
        > Cost is around $50 per head.
        >

        > That means I will get a full 4 course veg meal rather than one veg
        dish  while I watch everyone else eat an 8 course meat-entree....

        > This is most expensive Chinese Restaurant in SF.
        >
        > read the last line...
        > http://www.tommytoys.com/menus/index.html
        >
        > in almost every restaurant, if you are to make prearrangements and
        willing to spend extra $, restaurants  will usually try to
        accommodate you

      • Chris Marco
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
          Thanks for the post Sunny�though I'm not sure if you're in favor of eating at Tommy Toy's or not...

          After looking at their dead-animal-filled menu, I figured I'd post another link with a recommendation that folks take their precious recession-dollars over to Millenium for the holidays to support a fabulous restaurant that's supporting our vegan ethics everyday, not just on special order, for extra $$'s.

          I was pleasantly surprised to see Millenium is offering a Frugal Foodie Menu for these trying financial times. That's certainly nice and considerate of them, but I think it also means they could use some support right now too. Compared to other big cities, San Francisco is seriously lacking when it comes to quality vegan food. I know I would hate to see Millenium go away, wouldn't you?

          Maybe we should consider organizing an SFVS holiday meal at Millenium? They support us, we support them...

          Here's their link (http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/restaurant/events.html) and I've also pasted some of their current offerings below for a quick look.

          The Frugal Foodie Menu

          Sunday-Wednesday each week

          3-course prix fixe menu

          $38/person; $12/optional wine pairing

          We are sensitive to the effects of this financial crash & miss you
          all dearly! Come back! We can make it a little easier on the
          pocketbook. Sunday-Wednesday we offer a SWEET 3-course prix fixe option
          for just $38/person with an optional wine pairing for $12. Choose from
          selected items off our regular menu & we will happily match each
          course with a selection from our wine list. We want you to spill
          something on your shirt...not lose it!

          Winter Solstice Menu

          Thursday-Sunday, the entire month of December

          $45/person; $23/optional wine pairing*

          4 course prix fixe menu in addition to our regular menu

          Plant your Narcissus & light your pagan candles...then come eat at
          Millennium. Feast on early winter delectables & enjoy a Hot
          Brandied Cider...or wine pairing if you so desire...

          Convert A Carnivore
          Bring a Carnivorous
          Friend into Millennium on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month and
          you and your friend will receive a 25% discount, excluding alcohol. The
          next Convert A Carnivore is Wednesday November 26th and December 10th.

          Holiday Cooking Class

          Sunday December 14th, 2008

          10am-3pm (approx), $135/person

          It's that time of year again to send that subtle message to your
          culinary challenged friend or family member by giving them the early
          holiday gift of a Millennium Cooking Class. Who needs a stuffy
          Escoffier culinary text book when The "Eric Tucker Socking Stuffer" is
          available for your kitchen arts pleasure? Join Eric for a winter
          Farmer's Market tour & holiday menu hands-on tutorial.

          Optional opportunity to meet the farmers that provide for Millennium
          & it's guests...join Eric Saturday December 13th @ the Ferry
          Building for a guided tour through the Farmer's Market. Gather up your
          produce for the week & talk about the finishing touches to the
          class's menu the following day...10am @ the CUESA information booth
          located in the front of the building, just below the clock tower.

          Call Erica to register: 415.345.3900 x11

          New Years Eve

          Wednesday December 31, 2008

          5-course prix fixe menu

          $85/person; $35/optional wine pairing

          Complimentary glass of sparkling wine upon seating

          2 seatings: 5:30pm-7pm & 8:00pm-9:30pm

          New Year's Eve is quickly approaching and we plan to make you
          sparkle...or at least feel sparkly on the inside. Come bathe your
          insides with bubbles from a champagne flute & indulge your fancy
          appetite with one of Eric Tucker's signature "Auld Lang Syne" menus. We
          will start taking reservations on December 1st...so start planning!

        • Philip Gelb
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
            there is quite a bit of exceptional vegan food in the bay area,
            though of course not nearly as many high end restaurants as NYC, not
            surprisingly.
            If you look off the beaten track you might find a couple of surprise
            options for very high end vegan food in this area :)

            phil

            Philip Gelb
            vegetarian chef
            shakuhachi player, teacher