FARM Campaign Update

  • Neil
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
      Forwarding The Message.

      FARM Campaign Update <campaigns@...> wrote: FARM Update 2008-11 Saving Lives... One Bite at a Time - Nov. 6, 2008
      Table of Contents

      Help FARM Save Lives this Thanksgiving
      Letters From FARM Spread Vegan Message
      FARM Launches "Green Your Diet" Campaign
      Give the Gift of Saving Lives
      Free Resource for Vegan School Meals

      ---------------------------------
      Help FARM Save Lives this Thanksgiving
      Get active for Gentle Thanksgiving!
      Join FARM in saving the lives of innocent animals by publicizing the superior taste and nutrition of cruelty-free cuisine this holiday. Encourage friends, family, and community members to replace the carcass on their dinner table with a rich selection of festive vegan foods.
      Bring a Gentle Thanksgiving to your community. Here are just a few ways you can participate:
      Request handouts for distribution
      Coordinate a public vegan dinner
      Host a private vegan meal for friends, family, neighbors, co-workers
      Be sure to register your plans with us. Registering allows us to list your activities in the Gentle Thanksgiving Events Directory. It will help generate media and inspire others to get active.
      Together, we will demonstrate the true meaning of Thanksgiving and celebrate the benefits of the vegan lifestyle.
      Visit the Gentle Thanksgiving website to find more ways to get active, register your plans, and view our online Events Directory.

      Letters From FARM Spread Vegan Message
      For the past 13 years, FARM has been bringing the vegan message to middle America through our extensive letters-to-the-editor writing campaign.
      Since January, we’ve scored nearly 1,500 hits on 15 different topics. This year’s letters have addressed: New Year's resolutions, Martin Luther King Jr.'s b'day, lent, USDA beef recall, Meatout, Earth Day, world hunger, factory farming, Oprah's vegan experience, beef exports, Independence Day, global warming, Salmonella, World Farm Animals Day, and heart disease.
      Letters to the editor are the most widely read section of the newspaper after the front page. They are an exceptionally effective vehicle for bringing the message of compassion to millions of Americans that our movement doesn't often reach.
      Visit the website to find out more about our Letters to the Editor.

      FARM Launches "Green Your Diet"
      On occasion of the Green Festival being held in the nation's capital this weekend, FARM is launching our "Green Your Diet" campaign with a Festival exhibit, a new website, and handouts explaining the devastating impacts of animal agriculture on global warming and on environmental conservation in general.
      The campaign will shift into full gear early next year with outreach to national environmental organizations and a vigorous Vegan Earth Day campaign.

      Please visit and link to our Green Your Diet website.

      Give the Gift of Saving Lives!
      The holiday season brings the special opportunity to help animals and provide meaningful gifts to loved ones. Donate a FARM Gift Membership to the people you care about and give a gift that really matters… saving the lives of innocent animals, protecting the environment, and improving the health of your family and friends!

      Choose the perfect gift for someone:

      who has a sweet tooth
      who likes low-cost recipes
      who likes quick-n-easy recipes
      who is newly veg or veg-curious
      who cares about the environment
      who likes to travel and share recipes
      who wants them all... no need to choose!
      With less than 5% overhead, your gift donation directly supports FARM’s annual and ongoing campaigns: the Great American Meatout, Meatout Mondays, Green Your Diet, World Farm Animals Day, Gentle Thanksgiving Letters From FARM, Sabina Fund, Billboards & Bus Cards, and of course, the National Animal Rights Conference.
      Remember: they get the gift… you get the year-end tax break!
      Click here to find out more about tax-deductible gift memberships.

      Free Resource for Vegan School Meals
      Earth Voice Food Choice is now offering the Earth Voice Food Choice Manual and DVD as outreach tools for promoting vegan meals in schools and other venues.
      The manual outlines a step-by-step strategy on how to introduce a successful healthy food and environmental awareness project to a school or other institutional audience. Major features are:

      Handouts, guides, and sample letters for students, parents, teachers, administrators, and food service personnel
      Insights into the current problems with the USDA National School Lunch & Breakfast Programs and simple solutions
      Bulk and family-sized recipes that adhere to the USDA Meal Pattern, RDA's, and Nutrient Standard Menu Planning
      The DVD offers a lecture on the many important benefits of a vegan diet.
      Visit Earth Voice Food Choice to download the free materials.

      Some of FARM's Favorite Links
      FARM Heroes
      Here we feature key supporters of FARM and the animal rights movement.

      Cynthia Cruser became a vegan when she was struck by a moving portrayal of two cows at an art show. Inspired by her example, her two daughters and the family dog soon followed suit. Cynthia and her daughters attend the annual AR Conferences and promote animal rights in their community. She also contributes through FARM’s monthly giving, our most effective way of receiving year-round support.

      Helen and Steve Rayshick work tirelessly for animal rights. As founding members of the Massachusetts Animal Rights Coalition (MARC), they conduct rallies, leafleting, info tables and more, and are very supportive of FARM's annual campaigns.

      ---------------------------------

      ---------------------------------
      About FARM

      FARM (Farm Animal Rights Movement) is a national 501(c)3 public-interest group advocating a vegan diet and animal rights.
      FARM is funded by donations from caring people like you. Donations support our work directly because we raise our own funds and our overhead is less than 5%. We operate from the nation's capital with a volunteer network of grass roots activists.

      ---------------------------------
      Caring Gifts
      For T-shirts, books, and other fun stuff, visit FARM Store.

      FARM
      T-shirt - $15

      Six Arguments for a Greener Diet -$12

      www.FARMUSA.org | 10101 Ashburton Lane | Bethesda, MD 20817
      info@...

      Enjoy life and smile.

    • Neil
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 14, 2008
        Forwarding the message.

        FARM Action Alert <campaigns@...> wrote: FARM Update 2008-12 Saving Lives... One Bite at a Time - Dec. 8, 2008
        Table of Contents

        Gentle Thanksgiving Registers 280 Events
        FARM Launches California Campaign
        FARM Offers New Year Handouts
        FARM Partners With Change.org
        Renew Your FARM Membership for 2009

        ---------------------------------
        Gentle Thanksgiving Registers 280 Events
        Our Gentle Thanksgiving campaign registered a record 280 events in 43 states plus DC. The annual campaign promotes and registers compassionate alternatives to turkey dinners.
        Activities included public vegan feasts, cooking demonstrations, food sampling, information tables, exhibits, literature distribution, and more. Nearly 50 health food stores provided free vegan information and recipes to customers. Dozens of restaurants in major cities offered vegan Thanksgiving dinners. More than two dozen universities hosted educational activities and veggie meals on campus.
        Our activists distributed more than 18,000 colorful Gentle Thanksgiving handouts that explain the plight of turkeys and offer free Veg Starter Kits and weekly recipe e-mails.
        Several thousand press releases were sent to food and lifestyle editors, and to talk show producers. Letters to the editor were published in 100 papers.
        Read the Gentle Thanksgiving 2008 Report.

        FARM Launches California Campaign
        Next month, FARM is launching "Operation Prop 2 Follow-Through" to take advantage of the public awareness of animal abuse in factory farms raised by the state's Proposition 2 campaign and of the hundreds of campaign participants.
        The campaign will include billboards and bus display cards in major cities, tabling with colorful posters and handouts, and letters to the editors of California newspapers.
        Last month, 63 percent of California voters approved Proposition 2 requiring that most animals raised for food after January 2015 be provided sufficient space to turn around and spread their wings.
        Please contact us to offer your active or financial support.

        FARM Offers New Year Handouts
        The start of the new year brings a special opportunity to send caring greeting cards to your relatives, friends, and coworkers.
        Our colorful postcard cites the merits of a vegan diet, offers a free Veg Starter Kit and weekly supportive e-mail recipes, and promotes the vegan diet as the best New Year's resolution. It also provides space for your personal greeting.
        Request postcards now on the FARM Literature Request page.

        FARM Partners With Change.org
        FARM has become an official partner of Change.org, a national group formed to recommend social reforms to the Obama administration. We encourage each of our supporters to sign up, to click on Ideas, then on Animal Rights (in the lower right-hand corner), and finally, to vote for our two recommendations: a) Vegan school lunch options and b) Repealing the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act.
        The top three ideas in each category will be entered in a runoff between January 1-15.
        Please sign up for Change.org, and vote for our recommendations.

        Renew Your FARM Membership for 2009
        The upcoming holidays and end of the tax year offer extra incentive to help FARM’s life-saving campaigns.
        Now is the time to renew your FARM Membership for 2009 and continue your support of the Great American Meatout, Meatout Mondays, Vegan Earth Day, World Farm Animals Day, Gentle Thanksgiving, Letters From FARM, Sabina Fund, and of course, the National Animal Rights Conference.
        Donations of appreciated property save you capital gains taxes and reduce your taxable income. We particularly welcome monthly pledges.
        Join us in 2009 by making a tax-deductible contribution today.

        Some of FARM's Favorite Links
        FARM Heroes
        Here we feature key supporters of FARM and the animal rights movement.

        Denise Szczucki is is a New York psychotherapist and a generous FARM supporter. Vegetarian for 13 years and vegan for the past year, she is a member of many organizations and frequently writes letters for the cause.

        Jon Camp is the Outreach Director of Vegan Outreach, which publishes and distributes millions of colorful booklets promoting the vegan message throughout the US. In this semester alone, Jon and volunteers have distributed more than 600,000 booklets at 633 schools.

        ---------------------------------

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2009
          Forwarding the message.

          FARM Updates <farm-usa@...> wrote: FARM Update 2009-01 Saving Lives... One Bite at a Time - Jan. 8, 2008
          Table of Contents

          AR2009 Website, Registration Now Open
          Join Meatout 2009 – It's Time For Change!
          Vote For Vegan School Lunch By Jan 14!
          Get Your New Inauguration Handouts
          Help Us Promote Meatout Mondays!

          ---------------------------------
          AR2009 Website, Registration Now Open!
          After extensive negotiations, we have signed the Hilton Los Angeles Airport for the Animal Rights 2009 National Conference on the weekend of July 16-20, 2009.
          The Hilton offers a number of advantages over competing venues:

          Affordable rooms ($95/$95/$105/$115), with complimentary internet access
          Affordable prices ($12/$15/$20) for buffet lunch, dinner, and banquet
          Affordable parking ($5 compared with the usual $18 rate)
          An elegant, cheerful lobby with lots of lounges for networking
          All our functions on the same ground level
          A beautiful ballroom for our exhibits and plenary sessions
          A separate dining room for our meals and a 24-hour vegan snack bar
          A carpeted aerobics room and weight room for our morning workouts
          An outdoor swimming pool and an open terrace for relaxing in the sun
          Dogs are welcome and provided with open terrace for running around
          Visit the AR2009 website and take advantage of the half-price registration rate ending January 31.

          Join Meatout 2009 – It's Time For Change
          Get ready for Meatout this March! FARM’s largest annual campaign, the Great American Meatout publicizes the benefits of plant-based eating.
          Caring people in a thousand communities throughout all 50 U.S states and two dozen other countries will welcome spring with educational activities… they’ll ask friends, family, and community members to "kick the meat habit on March 20th (first day of spring) and explore a healthy, nonviolent diet of vegetables, fruits, and grains."
          Meatout activities range from elaborate festivals and walks to public dinners, cooking demos, exhibits, information tables, video screenings, leafleting, and more.
          Join us as we mark the 25th annual observance of Meatout. In honor of our President-Elect's campaign theme, this year’s slogan is "Change Your Diet. Change The World."
          We provide guidance, materials, media, and an online directory of events. You provide a few hours and lots of heart. Start planning now!
          Visit the Action Center and download the Action Guide for guidance.
          For inspiration, take a look at last year's report with photos.

          Vote For Vegan School Lunches by Jan 14
          Because of your overwhelming support, our proposal to have the USDA facilitate daily vegan school lunch options qualified for the second round of voting. This round, ending on January 15th, will select the 10 most popular reforms for presentation to the Obama transition team.
          Please take a minute to expose the concept of a vegan diet to hundreds of thousands of social reform activists and perhaps to the new Obama administration
          Sign up on the Change.org website, then visit our vegan school lunch proposal, and click on the number to cast your vote.

          Get Your New Inauguration Handouts
          We’ve created special handouts for your outreach at the Inauguration on January 20th and the many Inauguration parties around the country. We have borrowed President-Elect Barack Obama’s slogan is “Change Can Happen” and we’re asking Americans to change to a healthy, compassionate vegan diet.
          To request the new handouts, visit FARM's Handout Request page.

          Help Us Promote Meatout Mondays
          Gaining popularity, FARM’s colorful weekly e-mail newsletter Meatout Mondays is distributed to nearly 17,000 people every week. Each issue delivers a delicious vegan recipe, product or book suggestion, health news, and an inspirational message. It's a fun, informative resource for longtime vegans and newcomers alike.
          Sign up your friends, family, co-workers and anyone else you think would benefit. It’s an effective way to encourage a healthy, compassionate plant-based diet. Each person you sign up will receive a confirmation to verify interest and can unsubscribe at any time.

          Visit the updated Meatout Mondays website and sign up your friends .

          Some of FARM's Favorite Links
          FARM Heroes
          Here we feature key supporters of FARM and the animal rights movement.

          Evelyn Kimber has been an animal advocate for 25 years and is a longtime activist for FARM's annual campaigns. As President of the Boston Veg. Society (BVS), she has focused on education, out-reach, community building, and bringing veganism to the mainstream. BVS organizes the Boston Vegetarian Food Festival, now in its 14th year.

          Anthony Marr founded the HOPE-CARE Foundation in 1999 to preserve biodiversity, marine mammals, & Bengal tigers. As the leader of HOPE’s Global Emergency Operation (GEO) on climate change & mass extinction, he travels and speaks extensively on these topics. Anthony will be a speaker at this summer’s AR2009.

          ---------------------------------

          ---------------------------------
          About FARM

          FARM (Farm Animal Rights Movement) is a national 501(c)3 public-interest group advocating a vegan diet and animal rights.
          FARM is funded by donations from caring people like you. Donations support our work directly because we raise our own funds and our overhead is less than 5%. We operate from the nation's capital with a volunteer network of grass roots activists.

          ---------------------------------
          Caring Gifts
          For T-shirts, books, and other fun stuff, visit FARM Store.

          Animal Rights Now bracelet - $2

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16 8:47 PM
            Forwarding the message.

            FARM Update 2009-06

            Saving Lives...One Bite At a Time - June 8, 2009

            Table of Contents

            AR2009 Program Schedule Posted

            Cast Your Vote for Effective AR Campaigns

            Nominate Your Favorite Young Activist

            Equal Justice Alliance Fights AETA

            Meatout Mondays Reaches 19,000 Readers

            AR2009 Program Schedule Posted
            The preliminary program schedule for the Animal Rights 2009 National Conference has been posted. The Conference will be held from July 16-20 at the Westin LAX Hotel in Los Angeles. Discounted registration is available through the end of June.
            The evening plenary sessions address the history of our movement, government repression of animal activism, movement tactics, eyewitness accounts of key campaigns (such as California's Prop 2 and Whale Wars), and presentation of new ideas for animal liberation. The Awards Banquet will be Saturday evening.
            Daytime sessions are scheduled along a five-track structure that includes issues, organizing, tactics, raps and reports, and videos. 90+ exhibits of animal rights groups and vegan vendors are available 9am-6pm, Fri-Sun.
            Help promote AR2009... More attendees = More help for animals.
            Visit our website and take advantage of discounted registration.

            Cast Your Vote for Effective AR Campaigns
            Voice your opinion for the Most Effective Animal Rights Campaigns of 2008 & 2009! Winners will be announced at the Animal Rights 2009 National Conference Awards Banquet. Vote now and forward it to your friends. Cast your vote and forward the link to your friends.

            Nominate Your Favorite Young Activist
            Each year, the Animal Rights National Conference presents the Young Animal Activist Award to a person who has made a substantial contribution to promoting animal rights before his/her 18th birthday. The Award consists of a plaque and a $500 cash prize. It's co-sponsored by Farm Animal Rights Movement and In Defense of Animals.
            Last year’s award went to 14-year-old Meili Swanson. For nearly three years, she has been promoting animal rights in her school and through her local group.
            To be considered for the Award, please e-mail us your application (or nomination) by June 20th. The application should contain a 1-2-page account of the candidate's accomplishments in promoting animal rights and may include up to 3 pages of supporting materials, including letters from animal rights
            leaders or others familiar with the candidate's work.
            E-mail your application or nomination by June 20th.

            Equal Justice Alliance Fights AETA
            Equal Justice Alliance Executive Director Odette Wilkens and two dozen law students are having a busy summer. They are working to repeal the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA), as well as AETA-like and hunter harassment laws in all 50 states. They are seeking support from bar associations, legal scholars, and civil liberties organizations. They plan to lobby staffers of the Congressional judiciary committees.
            In the meantime, the petition to repeal AETA on the Change.org website is gathering steam, with more than 1000 signatures. Be sure to add your name and to forward the link to your friends.
            Visit the EJA website and please promote and sign the petition.

            Meatout Mondays Reaches 19,000 Readers
            FARM’s colorful weekly e-mail newsletter Meatout Mondays continues to gain popularity, now with approximately 19,000 subscribers. Each issue delivers a delicious vegan recipe, product or book suggestion, health news, and an inspirational message. It's a fun, informative resource for
            longtime vegans and newcomers alike.
            Sign up your friends, family, co-workers and anyone else you think would benefit. It’s an effective way to encourage a healthy, compassionate plant-based diet. Each person you subscribe will receive a confirmation to verify interest and can unsubscribe at any time.
            Check out the latest issue and sign up your friends.

            Some of FARM's Favorite Links

            FARM Heroes
            Here we feature key supporters of FARM and the animal rights movement.

            Lorri Houston has been active in our movement since 1981. She co-founded Farm Sanctuary in 1986 and Animal Acres in 2005. Through her efforts, Lorri has directly saved thousands of animals from the cruelties of factory farms, stockyards & slaughterhouses. Animal Acres is a Silver
            Sponsor of AR2009 and Lorri is a headliner.

            David Reuben has been supporting AR groups for 25 years. He has counseled on business strategy and marketing. He sponsors two legal clerkships every summer for second year law students working in animal law. David also lobbies on animal issues at the state level. He lives with Big Guy, his tuxedo cat, near FARM headquarters.

            About FARM

            FARM (Farm Animal Rights Movement) is a national 501(c)3 public-interest group advocating a vegan diet and animal rights.
            FARM is funded by donations from caring people like you. Donations support our work directly because we raise our own funds and our overhead is less than 5%. We operate from the nation's capital through a network of grassroots activists.

            FARM Store
            For T-shirts, books, and other fun stuff, visit FARM Store.

            Eco Bag (folds into tiny pouch) - $7

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2009
              Forwarding the message.

              FARM Update 2008-08

              "Saving Lives...One Bite at a Time" - August 7, 2009

              Table of Contents

              Speak Out for Innocent Animals in October
              AR2009 Attracts 900 Participants & Visitors
              AR2009 Recognizes Outstanding Activists
              FARM's Anti-AETA Petition Reaching Its Goal
              Meatout Mondays Inspires Paul McCartney

              Speak Out for Innocent Animals in October
              World Farm Animals Day takes place on or around October 2nd. It’s a time to expose, mourn, and
              memorialize the more than 55 billion cows, pigs, turkeys, chickens, and other sentient, innocent animals who are brutalized and killed each year in the world's factory farms and slaughterhouses. Activists and other caring people throughout all 50 U.S. states and two dozen other countries will take a stand against these atrocities.
              Observances include attention-grabbing events such as cage-ins, die-ins, funeral marches, vigils, protests, video screenings, fasts, and memorial services. Other activities include leafleting, information tables, and lectures.
              Speak out by planning an observance in your community. We’ll provide guidance, free materials, national media, and an online Events Directory.
              Visit the WFAD Action Center and register your interest with us today.

              AR2009 Attracts 900 Participants & Visitors
              More than 900 participants and visitors from throughout the U.S. and eight other countries attended the Animal Rights 2009 National Conference, held on July 16-20th at the Westin LAX in Los Angeles.

              105 speakers from 60 groups presented in 120 sessions, including plenaries, workshops, raps, and campaign reports. Nearly 90 organizations exhibited their literature and merchandise. More than 60 videos of animal abuse and protective actions were screened, including several premieres.
              A record of nine awards were presented (see below). Sea Shepherd Captain Paul Watson offered the closing keynote address.
              Visit the AR2009 website for the full report with 350 select photos.

              AR2009 Recognizes Outstanding Activists
              AR2009 applauded the hard work and amazing dedication of well-deserving activists at the Awards Banquet on Saturday, July 18th.
              Veteran animal activist and HLN (formerly CNN's Headline News) cable channel anchor Jane Velez-Mitchell received the Celebrity Animal Rights Activist Award. Jane devotes a number of her shows to animal issues and has founded a group to enforce
              animal protection laws.
              Mercy For Animals founder Nathan Runkle was elected by AR2009 speakers to the U.S. Animal Rights Hall of
              Fame. Lauren Ornelas of Food Empowerment Project and David Bemel of Action for Animals were honored with the prestigious Henry Spira Grassroots Animal Rights Activist Award. 18-year-old Jack Nunn of Win Animal Rights received the Young Animal Rights Activist Award.
              More than a thousand activists voted in our first Most Effective Animal Liberation Campaigns web-based contest. In the vegan category, Compassion Over Killing won for their cable channel PSAs and Mercy For Animals won runner-up for
              their undercover factory farm investigations. In the non-vegan category, Sea Shepherd won for Operation Musashi and Win Animal Rights for their Stop Huntingdon Animal Cruelty campaign.
              View the full report for more about AR2009's Award winners.

              FARM's Anti-AETA Petition Reaching Its Goal
              We will not be intimidated by the government's "green scare" tactics in carrying out our mission of animal
              liberation.
              FARM has received 1,465 signatures so far, urging Congress to repeal the outrageous Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, which criminalizes forms of protest previously protected as free speech by the US Constitution. Our goal is 1,500 so if you haven't already, sign our Change.org petition!
              Sign the petition on Change.org and forward it to your friends.

              Meatout Mondays Inspires Paul McCartney

              Paul McCartney recently began publicly supporting the UK campaign Meat-Free Mondays in an effort to cut carbon emissions. According to a UK news article, “Sir Paul read about the campaign in America and decided he needed to get involved. Meatout Mondays have been promoted by the American charity Farm Animal Rights Movement.”
              FARM launched Meatout Mondays as an offshoot of our 25 year campaign Meatout, which encourages people to “kick the meat habit” at least for a day on March 20th. Meatout Mondays is our weekly e-mail newsletter serving to assist people in eating healthy, compassionate meals one day a week, providing a delicious vegan recipe,
              product suggestion, health news and inspiration.
              This is a great opportunity to offer the gift of compassion to your family and friends by signing them up for the Meatout Mondays e-newsletter.
              Check out MeatoutMondays.org to sign your friends and family up!

              Some of FARM's Favorite Links

              FARM Heroes
              Here we feature key supporters of FARM and the animal rights movement.

              Pattrice Jones is co-founder of Eastern Shore Sanctuary & Education Center on Maryland's Eastern Shore dominated by the poultry industry. An activist in various social change movements since the 1970s, Pattrice speaks and writes on the connections between earth, animal, and human liberation. She is the author of
              Confronting Trauma in a Violent World and speaks regularly at AR Conferences.

              Keith McHenry co-founded the international Food Not Bombs organization, which serves free vegan meals and promotes animal rights through local chapters all over the world. Keith co-authored one of the first vegan cookbooks and was a featured speaker at AR2009

              Join FARM at the DC VegFest!

              About FARM
              FARM,Farm Animal Rights Movement, is a national nonprofit 501(c)(3) public-interest group advocating vegan diet and animal rights.
              FARM is supported by donations from caring people like you. Donations support our work directly because we raise our own funds and our overhead is less than 5%. We operate from the nation's capital through a national network of grassroots activists.

              Caring Gifts
              For T-shirts, books, and other fun stuff, visit FARM Store.

              AR Conference
              T-Shirt - $15

              AR Conference
              T- Shirt - $15