Nov 3 in Palo Alto: Sugar Blues with Gabriele Kushi!

  • Gerard T. Lum
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2008
      Ever wonder what effects sugar has on your body? On Monday, November
      3 at 8 pm, the Peninsula Macrobiotic Community hosts macrobiotic
      counselor, cooking teacher, and author Gabriele Kushi, who will speak
      on Sugar Blues.

      Since Americans, on average, consume 576 cans of sugar-based soda per
      year, causing multiple health conditions including diabetes and
      obesity, it is imperative to learn about healthy alternatives to
      improve your health and energy. Participants will gain a greater
      understanding of why we crave sweets, how sugar decreases our energy
      and the cycle of sugar addiction. In addition to understanding why we
      overindulge in sweet foods, participants learn what alternatives exist
      to the typical refined sugars we find in junk food, candy bars and
      other unhealthy snacks.

      Gabriele Kushi is an internationally recognized lecturer and expert on
      healing with natural foods, and the author of Embracing Menopause
      Naturally (Square One Publishers). She has certifications from the
      American Association of Drugless Practitioners, the Macrobiotic
      Educators Association, the Kushi Institute, USA, and the Institute of
      Integrative Nutrition in conjunction with Columbia University Teachers
      College. For 30+ years, Gabriele has successfully educated people on
      how to embrace their lives naturally. She is the founder and director
      of Kushi's Kitchen in Minneapolis, MN and offers phone and web-net
      consultations. Visit her website at http://www.kushiskitchen.com

      Lecture Details:
      • Monday, November 3, 8 pm (no reservation necessary)
      • $5-10 donation suggested for lecture
      • The First Baptist Church, 305 North California Avenue at Bryant,
      Palo Alto, 1/4 mile East of Alma and the California Avenue Caltrain
      Station
      • before the lecture, enjoy a Gourmet Vegetarian Dinner and make new
      friends at 6:30 pm (dinner reservations: call 650 599-3320 by 9:30 am)

      GOURMET VEGETARIAN DINNER MENU, NOVEMBER 3, 6:30 PM, CHEF GARY ALINDER

      Split Pea Soup
      Tofu Frittata with Arugula, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Mushrooms and
      Artichoke Hearts
      Long Grain Brown Rice
      Steamed Veggie Melange
      Mixed Green Salad with Lemon-Tahini Dressing
      Trail Mix Cookies
      Tea

      Dinner Details:
      • Monday, November 3, 6:30 pm
      • $15 for Dinner
      • please reserve for Dinner by Monday morning, 9:30 AM (650 599-3320)
      • The First Baptist Church, 305 North California Avenue at Bryant,
      Palo Alto, 1/4 mile East of Alma and the California Avenue Caltrain
      Station
      • for more Monday dinner menus, visit http://peninsulamacro.org

      MONDAY GOURMET VEGETARIAN DINNERS IN PALO ALTO

      The Peninsula Macrobiotic Community serves a Gourmet Vegetarian Dinner
      every Monday (except major holidays) in Palo Alto. This is a full
      vegan dinner which includes soup, grain, beans or bean products,
      vegetables, dessert, and beverage, prepared by expert natural foods
      Chef Gary Alinder, our Chef since our inception in 1987.

      WEBSITE: http://peninsulamacro.org - featuring newsletter, dinner
      menus, and related information.

      DINNER RESERVATIONS: please try to make your Dinner reservations by
      Monday morning, 9:30 AM; call 650 599-3320. If it's after 9:30 and
      you're still interested in coming, call and leave a number for the
      manager to call you back if there is space. It is not necessary to
      reserve for the After-Dinner presentation.

      TIME: dinner is served at 6:30 pm every Monday except major holidays;
      the after-dinner presentation (once per month) starts at 8 pm.

      PRICE: $15 for Dinner (occasional special dinners are priced higher),
      $5-10 donation suggested for after-dinner presentation (usually once
      per month)

      LOCATION: The First Baptist Church, 305 North California Avenue at
      Bryant, Palo Alto, 1/4 mile East of Alma and the California Avenue
      Caltrain Station.

      AFTER-DINNER PRESENTATION: each month we feature an After-Dinner
      Lecture or Event, described in the newsletter and website. Lectures
      are usually on macrobiotic or other health related topics, by a
      variety of speakers including macrobiotic counselors, medical doctors,
      cooking teachers, and people who have dealt successfully with serious
      diseases using macrobiotic or similar approaches. Other events have
      included performances by folk singers and vegetarian Chinese acrobats.
      We have a pass-the-hat policy for our events; we suggest a donation of
      $5-10.

      WHO SHOULD ATTEND: all are welcome at our Dinners, vegetarian or not.
      The Dinners are particularly helpful for those who want to eat in
      healthy ways, but may not know how to get started. Many who attend may
      have the same health concerns you have. Also, choosing locally grown,
      vegetarian foods is one of the best ways to reduce your carbon
      footprint on the planet.

      Dinner attendance ranges from 40 to 100, with a full spectrum of ages
      spanning newborns to grandparents, including quite a few interesting
      singles. Come with a friend or by yourself; singles easily integrate
      into our friendly group, where seating is communal. Many long-term
      friendships have started at a Monday Dinner, and are renewed every week!

      We hope to see you at a Monday Dinner! Please forward this message to
      friends who may be interested.

      Gerard T. Lum, Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
      Peninsula Macrobiotic Community, http://peninsulamacro.org