People's Grocery Events

  • jcadiz2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2008
      PEOPLE’S GROCERY EVENTS, UPDATES & ACTIONS

      EVENTS

      Fall Workday at the People's Grocery Farm

      Saturday October 11, 9:00 AM - 3:00PM

      Come out to Sunol and get a taste of Food Justice. We’ll harvesting
      pumpkins and winter squash as well planting and weeding our Fall
      crops. Carpool from West Oakland available. Snacks provided. Please
      emailhubert@... to RSVP and for directions.

      Flavors of the Garden Tasting Event

      Sunday, October 12, 12pm-2pm

      Join us for our next "Flavors of the Garden" Tasting Event! This is a
      special thank you celebration for all our Harvesting Justice Table
      Captains, volunteers, donors, & supporters with delicious appetizers
      and yummy beverages crafted by local Bay Area chefs from organic
      seasonal produce grown at People's Grocery’s gardens and farm. See the
      new Grub Box, meet the people who are People's Grocery, listen to live
      music and taste the flavor of summer with People's Grocery. Please
      email victoria@... to RSVP and for directions.

      People’s Grub Party
      Saturday October 18, 11am-2pm

      A new tradition for the West Oakland community, People's Grocery has
      been hosting monthly “Grub Party,” events where people of all ages
      come together over none other than healthy food. Party-goers eat, gain
      tips from a cooking demo, eat, learn about nutrition, eat, laugh, eat,
      discuss what’s going on in West Oakland, and eat some more. Each event
      features a talented chefs sharing his or her recipes and passing
      around samples, local artists or performers, and People's Grocery
      youth providing the audience with interactive education around healthy
      eating and nutrition. Please email diana@... to RSVP
      and for directions.

      UPDATES

      People's Grocery is Officially Organic!

      As of September 2008 People's Grocery’s farm at the Agriculture Park
      received certification from California Certified Organic Farmers.
      We’ve always grown organically, but never been able to claim our
      products are organic. Now it’s official.

      Now Accepting EBT Food Stamps

      In August 2008 People's Grocery was approved to accept EBT food stamps
      from low-income families for the purchase and fruits and vegetables.
      This enables many more families to be able to purchase low-cost, fresh
      produce from People's Grocery.

      People's Grocery Bids for Shopping Center

      In September 2008 People's Grocery made an offer to lease a 14,000 sq
      ft building at the old West Grand Shopping Center, located at 925 West
      Grand Ave at the corner of Market St. This location used to be the
      main shopping center in West Oakland back in the 1960’s and 1970’s and
      People's Grocery is trying to bring this historic site back into
      action through a unique food retail store that links to public health,
      green economic development and local food systems. While we haven’t
      secured the building yet we’re optimistic that we’ll be able to do so
      and demonstrate a new model forWest Oakland.

      ACTIONS
      Vote for People's Grocery at Reduction Festival
      The Global Oneness Project produced a short video on People’s Grocery
      back in March 2008. Global Oneness’ video on People’s Grocery was
      recently selected for a film festival called the Reduction Festival.
      Selected films are being voted on now until October 17 on the
      Reduction Festival website. Please take a moment to visit Reduction
      Festival, then click on Documentary, watch our video and vote for
      People’s Grocery! The winning films will be screened at an event in
      the UK.

      Grub Boxes Available for Fall/Winter

      There are still some open spots for both Resident and Sponsor Grub
      Boxes for the Fall/Winter. Sign up today to get a weekly box of 12-15
      items of organic produce. Resident Box pickup sites are at DeFremery
      Park (18th St. & Adeline St.), at 936 Brockhurst St. and at the West
      Oakland Health Clinic (700 Adeline St.). Pickup sites for the Sponsor
      Box are at Rock Paper Scissors Collective (2278 Telegraph Ave), the
      Berkeley Ecology Center (2530 San Pablo Ave) and at La Peña Cultural
      Center (3105 Shattuck Ave.) Click here to learn more about the Grub
      Box or emailjason@... for more information.