Pete's Program for a 10 week transition to veg*ism

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
      We all know folks who claim to be "in transition" to a vegetarian lifestyle, a transition that appears to have no end. And it's true that not everyone can just go cold turkey, like I did. Well, I'd like to propose for comment the following program for a transition to vegetarianism or veganism so simple and hassle free that most folks with any motivation at all should be able to succeed in only ten weeks. I have no idea if anyone has ever tried anything like this, although it seems likely that I'm not the first to dream it up. But, for what it's worth, here's how it works:

      There are 21 meals in a week. In the first week of the program make two meals vegetarian or vegan ("veg*n"). For example, Sunday dinner and Wednesday breakfast. During the second week, those two meals will remain veg*n and two more meals will be added. (For example, Sunday dinner and Wednesday breakfast would remain veg*n and Monday lunch as well as Tuesday dinner would be added). During the third week, those four meals will remain veg*n and two more veg*n meals would be added. The process would continue until the tenth week during which the last three meals would become veg*n and the transition would be complete.

      Here are some additional guidelines and comments:
      *All snacks, which are likely to be veggie anyway, are to be veg*n from the beginning of the program.
      *If you slip and don't add a meal one week or even subtract one by going back to a meat meal, that's OK. Don't give up or start all over again. Just pick up the program where you left off and keep going. The worst that will happen is that you'll succeed later than 10 weeks, but you can still succeed.
      *The point of phasing in a new veg*n lifestyle is to allow time to learn to substitute foods so that you can transition without a sense of loss. Successful substitution (like having veggie burgers instead of cow burgers or meatless spaghetti sauce instead of meat sauce) is a key to a successful transition.
      *Enjoy the new foods you eat. Get into the tastes that you never noticed before because your culture-driven taste for meat overpowered all else.
      *Remember that real success is not achieved until you have successfully lived a veg*n lifestyle for a full year following the end of the transition period. When that day comes, a celebration is certainly in order.

    • Julie Dull
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
        Hi

        Easiest transition to veganism is to see "peaceable kingdom".

        Anyone that hasn't seen is it welcome to come over to my little house in
        South SF to see it (and meet me, a new vegan!) any Frid / Sat / Sun
        night or afternoon!! Just let me know :-)

        I'm not a "great cook" so bring your own munchies or raid my refer.

        Julie

        Julie A. Dull
        Cell 650-219-9896

        "If humans were true carnivores, a child left in a room with a bunny and
        an apple would eat the bunny and play with the apple." - Albert
        Einstein, 1879-1955
        "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us
        as equals."
        - Sir Winston Churchill
        Free Farm Animals from Cruelty, Cannibalism, Confinement and Drugs:
        http://www.factoryfarming.com/gallery.htm

        The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be
        indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity."-----George
        Bernard Shaw
        Support the National Resource Defense Council
        http://www.nrdc.org <http://www.nrdc.org/>

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129jkn45g/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1705171641:HM/EXP=1086468943/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*http://