Slow Food Nation Victory Garden: Planting July 12

  • rojony57
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2008
      Courtesy of http://slowfoodnation.org/ and harrisson9876

      Beginning July 1, the lawn of San Francisco's City Hall will undergo a
      transformation from grass carpet to edible garden. The installation of
      the Slow Food Nation Victory Garden marks the first time that City
      Hall has hosted an edible garden since 1943. We will begin by pulling
      up turf (which will be replanted in other parts of the City's green
      areas) and planting beets, lettuce, kale and many other heritage
      varieties of vegetables. The food grown in the garden—most of which
      will be ready for harvest during Slow Food Nation's Labor Day
      event—will be donated to those with limited access to healthy, organic
      produce through a partnership with local food banks and meal programs.

      Slow Food Nation is producing this project in partnership with Victory
      Gardens 2008+, whose mission is to respond to the social and
      ecological challenges that San Franciscans and all urban residents
      face in creating more self reliant, ecologically sound and socially
      just urban human habitats.

      The Victory Garden project takes its name from 20th Century wartime
      efforts to address food shortages by encouraging citizens to plant
      gardens on public and private land. In the early 1940s, gardens
      sprouted in front yards and vacant lots, and produced 40 percent of
      the nation's vegetables. San Francisco's victory program became one of
      the best in the country; Golden Gate Park alone had 250 garden plots.

      The SF Victory Garden program redefines "Victory" in the context of
      modern urban sustainability: "Victory" means growing food at home for
      increased local food security and to reduce the food miles associated
      with the average American meal, not to mention as a way of saving
      money during a time of economic instability. As Deborah Madison
      pointed out today at Culinate, the Victory Gardens of WWII exist only
      as memory and history, but in the near future "we might once again
      have to feed ourselves, and even if we don't have to, there's much to
      be said for growing some food and working outdoors."

      The Slow Food Nation Victory Garden will serve as a demonstration and
      education centerpiece leading up to and following our Labor Day event,
      providing visitors the opportunity to learn about urban food
      production practices.

      We're looking for volunteers—experienced gardeners and novices
      alike—to help us keep the Slow Food Nation Victory Garden thriving
      from July – September 2008. For more details and to enroll as a
      Victory Garden Volunteer, please email your contact information and
      availability to info@slowfoodnation .org with "Victory Garden" in the
      subject line.