OrganicAthlete eNews - April 2008

  • Scott Munson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2008
      April 7, 2008

      Dear Subscriber,

      It's Spring, and it's time to get back on track. The OrganicAthlete
      eNewsletter was a consistent monthly publication for 4 years, but we
      were sidetracked the past few months for good reason. In a few weeks,
      you'll get an annoucement of the launch of our new website. We're
      excited about it. Stay tuned.

      Have a fruitful day,

      Bradley Saul

      Join OrganicAthlete!
      OrganicAthlete Teams

      As part of the launch of our new website, we're starting more than a
      just a cycling team. OrganicAthlete's sports teams will include
      running, triathlon, and bodybuilding. A way for OrganicAthlete members
      to organize by activity and sport, these teams connect like-minded
      athletes the world over with a passion for training for a better
      world. The website will feature member journals, team calendars, team
      forums, and member profiles. Join today and get involved with the new

      How an OrganicAthlete Goes to the Grocery Store

      A funny video featuring the OrganicAthlete staff. Click here to view
      this video.

      April Health News

      Lots of meat, lots of cancer
      This was a big study, involving about 500,000 people. Those who ate
      the most red meat were 25% more likely to be diagnosed with bowel,
      liver, lung and esophageal cancer. Those who ate the most processed
      meat had a 20% higher risk of colorectal cancer and a 16% higher risk
      of lung cancer. 1 in 10 cases of these cancers could be avoided if
      people eliminated the aforementioned meat products.
      Genkinger JM & Koushik A. Meat Consumption and Cancer Risk 2007;12:e345

      No bones about soy
      Increasing soy consumption for six months can have a beneficial effect
      on bone mineral density. This was found by doing a meta-analysis.
      These results were noticed with an intake of about 90 mg of
      isoflavones per day. You could hit 90 mg by eating ½ cup of edamame, 1
      cup of soy milk, and 3 ounces of tempeh.
      De-Fu Ma, et al. Soy isoflavone intake increases bone mineral density
      in the spine of menopausal women: Meta-analysis of randomized
      controlled trials. Clinical Nutrition 2008;27:57-64.

      Legumes and blood sugar
      Nearly 65,000 healthy, middle-aged women from China were followed over
      4.6 years to assess development of diabetes. Those women who consumed
      more legumes had a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. When
      researchers isolated soy foods for analysis, there was not a
      significant association.
      Villegas R, et al. Legume and soy food intake and the incidence of
      type 2 diabetes in the Shanghai Women's Health. Am J Clin Nutr

      D2 the new D3
      Good news out of Boston. Both forms of vitamin D (D2 & D3) are equally
      effective at maintaining blood levels in the human body. This is great
      news for those on a plant-based diet, as vitamin D2 is plant derived
      and vitamin D3 is animal derived.
      Holick MF, et al. Vitamin D2 is as effective as vitamin D3 in
      maintaining circulating concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D. Journal
      of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. December 18 2007, Published

      Thanks to Ryan Andrews for this month's health news.

      Join OrganicAthlete!

      In this issue:
      New OA Teams
      Go Local