Re: NOPE! Re: [SFVeg] Straight Talk on Soy Foods

  • Philip Gelb
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 6:07 AM
      soy that is grown in the rainforest, like corn, is for industral use

      All my soy that i use in my business is organic, non gmo and grown in
      california.
      Of course variety is important in a diet and avoiding processed crap
      made from soy (or anything is a good idea) but do not blame
      vegetarians for the destrtuction of the rain forest for growing soy!
      Most soy that is grown is to feed cattle and other industrial uses.

      phil

      Philip Gelb
      vegetarian chef
      shakuhachi player, teacher
      phil@...
      http://philipgelb.com
      http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood
      http://myspace.com/philipgelb

      On Apr 3, 2008, at 2:23 AM, Scott Munson wrote:

      > are you kidding?
      >
      > Brazilian rainforests being clearcut to feed myopic veggies and poison
      > boys?
      >
      > I am so sorry! See me. Talk to me. Let's discuss this. It is not true.
      >
      > Soy is NOT the answer. Seeds, legumes, sprouts, greens, veggies are
      > the answer.
      >
      > To the extent the animal rights movement mistakenly touts soy it is
      > doomed.
      >
      > FOR REAL.
      >
      > I kid you not.
      >
      > Get over it. Moderation is healthy! Get your protein from VARIETY!!!
      >
      > Soy is destroying Brazil.
      >
      > Soy is destroying the animal rights movement.
      >
      > Phytoestrogens from SOY are cancerous to men. Period.
      >
      > Eat a variety of food to be healthy! Do not eat a bunch of one item:
      > that causes cancer.
      >
      > You know this!
      >
      > Wake up!
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Citations and articles to follow but please, be real! You know that
      > pounding soy is risky!
      >
      > Eat your greens, eat seeds, eat nuts, eat hummus, please be healthy,
      > do not obsess over one food.
      >
      > Obessing over one food ALWAYS causes cancer!
      >
      > ARGH! enough!
      >
      > On Apr 2, 2008, at 8:21 PM, CyberBrook wrote:
      >
      > *Straight Talk on Soy Foods*
      >
      > by Casey Adams, D.Sc.
      > /Share Guide/, Nov/Dec 2007
      >
      > You may have heard some negative buzz on soy, but it's not
      > really true -- it's healthy for us and for the environment too!
      >
      > http://www.shareguide.com/soyfoods.html

    • itsmedotcom1
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 1:10 PM
        Dear fiend,

        I think you are confusing something here. Yes, it is true that more
        and more forests are cut to grow soy... only it is soy that is grown
        for FARM ANIMAL FOOD, not for the minuscule number of vegetarians on
        the globe.
        That said, I agree with you that moderation is key in any diet and we
        should be getting our protein form many different sources.

        Peace 2 all.