RE: [SFVeg] Digest Number 138

  • Deborah Michelle Sanders
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2004
      Dear Dave, The PASSIONATE VEGETARIAN by Cresant Dragonwagon is quite
      vegan-friendly (many of the recipes are vegan to start with), & is an
      imaginative, cosmopolitan cookbook with lots of Asian recipes. All best
      wishes, Deb

      Deborah Michelle Sanders
      deborahmichelle@...
      1140 Sutter St, #211
      San Francisco, CA 94109-5654
      Phone 415-563-7458
      Fax 509-272-2059

      From: Dave Goggin <dave65536@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:39:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
      From: Dave Goggin <dave65536@...>
      Subject: Vegan sauce making resources?

      Hi All,

      Can anyone recommend a good textbook on making sauces, in particular
      Thai and Chinese sauces?

      I've decided to do more cooking at home. Being vegan, the obvious thing
      is to dump a whole pile of veggies in a stir-fry pan and cook them up.
      I know the basics (mix up a little garlic and bean paste with vegetable
      broth and cornstarch, or get a bunch of those sauce-in-an-envelopes from
      the supermarkets) but need to know some more tricks, spice combinations,
      etc.

      I've noticed that (despite the recession) so many nice little
      hole-in-the-wall quick bite restaurants around town have recently jacked
      up their prices and/or started serving rice plates that are 90% rice and
      10% veggies w/tofu. Very irritating. It's cheaper to cook my own
      stuff, in plentiful quantities.

      Does anyone have opinions on the books "The Complete Book Of Sauces"
      (Williams) or "The Book of Sauces" (Grimsdale/Degu)... are they easily
      vegan adaptable or do most of their sauces require beef broth, eggs,
      etc? Not sure if they cover non-Western sauces.

      Thanks,
      DG