veg*n living

  • Dan Brook
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2008
      Learn how to cook like a vegan
      By Jimmy Currier, Observer staff writer
      http://www.observer-online.com/articles/2008/02/03/news/anews7.txt

      With obesity and related diseases on the rise, people are
      searching for a way to lose weight and become healthy.

      While a vegetarian diet is not certain to ward off all
      diseases, statistically, vegetarians have a lower rate of
      disease than non-vegetarians.

      Dr. Glenn Wiltse of Albuquerque says that vegetarians live
      10-14 years longer than the average population. Also, on
      the average, vegetarians have lower blood pressure, a lower
      rate of cancer, lower incidence of heart attacks and a
      lower rate of diabetes.

      “If you look down at the gamut of degenerative diseases
      affecting our country today, vegetarians are better off,”
      Wiltse said.

      Wiltse, who grew up on a farm in Iowa, has been a
      vegetarian for 50 years.

      The 87-year old doctor wants to share his knowledge with
      others. ...

      “Anyone that can look at you, you leave alone,” Wiltse
      said.

      Many people are skeptical of the vegan diet because of a
      perceived lack of protein. Wiltse debunks that myth.

      “Legumes are our primary source of protein,” he said.
      “Looking at the protein in beans and the protein quality,
      it’s about the same as in beef. Beans are a big part of our
      diet, as well as nuts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice and
      oatmeal.”

      Wiltse said the average American eats twice as much protein
      as the body needs and that produces ill effects, including
      extra work for the kidneys and creating excess waste.

      Wiltse pointed out there are several reasons why one would
      becomes a vegetarian, including health, spiritual and
      environment. ...

      Eco-Eating
      www.brook.com/veg
    • Vegan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2008
        Hi all,

        Michael Pollan will be on my radio show tomorrow from 11am - noon. Let
        me know if you have any questions. I can't wait to talk to him about
        why vegetarians/vegans are always asked, "Where do you get your
        protein?"

        The motto of his new book is: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
        http://www.michaelpollan.com/indefense.php

        The show airs on KALW 91.7 FM. You can also listen online: http://www.kalw.org/listen.html

        We take calls from listeners, so feel free to call-in: 415.841.4134 or
        866.798.8255

        Thanks,
        Rose