recycling soymilk containers?

  • walnutshakes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
      Anyone know if we can recycle soymilk containers in Hayward/Alameda County?
      Ive gotten mixed answers from sanitation here. Ive been throwing them in the
      garbage because of the aluminum paper inside and the plastic lid.
      thanks for any info
      karel

    • brian wesenberg
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
        as i understand it, and please correct me if i'm
        wrong, those tetrapak containers contain several
        different types of layers, the end result, is they are
        not recyclable, which is a shame. what i do w/ them,
        since they will be thrown away anyways, is to rinse
        them out when they are empty, remove the plastic
        cap/frame, fold down the upper edges so it is a flat
        top, and use that as a mini-garbage next to my sink,
        w/ a plastic lid from something else as a cover. when
        full, throw away.

        another solution i attempt most of the time is to
        purchase soymilk in standard paper "traditional milk
        cartons" carton. trader joes sells these in their
        refrigerator section. living in SF, one can then put
        them in the compost "green" containers for pick up w/
        other compostable items. and soymilk comes in #2
        plastic bottles at some places but my experience is
        that one has to be careful about the shelf life of
        those.

        i would love to hear if those tetrapaks are recyclable
        anywhere.

        brian

        --- walnutshakes@... wrote:

        > Anyone know if we can recycle soymilk containers in
        > Hayward/Alameda County?
        > Ive gotten mixed answers from sanitation here. Ive
        > been throwing them in the
        > garbage because of the aluminum paper inside and the
        > plastic lid.
        > thanks for any info
        > karel

        > removed]

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Marin Thompson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
          HI Karel,

          This is also a problem here in San Francisco. I contacted Sunset Scavenger Recycling service and was very surprised to hear they didn't take them.

          I feel guilty having to throw them away!

          I would also love to know where in the bay area they can be taken. Does anyone know?

          Thanks,
          Marin

          walnutshakes@... wrote:
          Anyone know if we can recycle soymilk containers in Hayward/Alameda County?
          Ive gotten mixed answers from sanitation here. Ive been throwing them in the
          garbage because of the aluminum paper inside and the plastic lid.
          thanks for any info
          karel

        • Philip Gelb
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
            If you buy a soymilk maker, you can not only make a much higher
            quality product for a lower price, you no longer have to worry about
            recycling the cartons!

            Philip Gelb
            vegetarian chef
            shakuhachi player, teacher
            phil@...
            http://philipgelb.com
            http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood
            http://myspace.com/philipgelb

            On Jan 31, 2008, at 9:42 AM, brian wesenberg wrote:

            > as i understand it, and please correct me if i'm
            > wrong, those tetrapak containers contain several
            > different types of layers, the end result, is they are
            > not recyclable, which is a shame. what i do w/ them,
            > since they will be thrown away anyways, is to rinse
            > them out when they are empty, remove the plastic
            > cap/frame, fold down the upper edges so it is a flat
            > top, and use that as a mini-garbage next to my sink,
            > w/ a plastic lid from something else as a cover. when
            > full, throw away.
            >
            > another solution i attempt most of the time is to
            > purchase soymilk in standard paper "traditional milk
            > cartons" carton. trader joes sells these in their
            > refrigerator section. living in SF, one can then put
            > them in the compost "green" containers for pick up w/
            > other compostable items. and soymilk comes in #2
            > plastic bottles at some places but my experience is
            > that one has to be careful about the shelf life of
            > those.
            >
            > i would love to hear if those tetrapaks are recyclable
            > anywhere.
            >
            > brian
            >
            > --- walnutshakes@... wrote:
            >

            > > Anyone know if we can recycle soymilk containers in
            > > Hayward/Alameda County?
            > > Ive gotten mixed answers from sanitation here. Ive
            > > been throwing them in the
            > > garbage because of the aluminum paper inside and the
            > > plastic lid.
            > > thanks for any info
            > > karel

            > > removed]

          • RhonHern

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
                AFAIK, City of Palo Alto still takes them at the recycling center at
                the east end of Embarcadero Rd. They collect tetrapaks and the
                traditional waxy-paper soymilk containers in the same bin. I haven't
                dropped these off myself recently, but my household has been
                collecting them and then dropping them off whenever we're in the
                neighborhood.

                However, that recycling center is slated to close (or else become
                much smaller) at the end of the year. Last I heard, it's mostly
                moving to Sunnyvale, and I don't know if Sunnyvale accepts all the
                items that PA does.

                Palo Alto takes a much more limited list of items for curbside pickup.

                <mailto:walnutshakes%40aol.com>walnutshakes@... wrote:
                Anyone know if we can recycle soymilk containers in Hayward/Alameda County?
                Ive gotten mixed answers from sanitation here. Ive been throwing them in the
                garbage because of the aluminum paper inside and the plastic lid.
                thanks for any info
                karel

              • Vegan
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2008
                  > Or you can make fresh hemp/cashew/almond milk, which is full of gmo-
                  > free protein!

                  1/2 cup hemp seeds (or cashews or almonds)
                  a few dates
                  a splash of vanilla or agave
                  5 cups of water

                  Give it a good blend, preferably in a Vitamix.

                  I've been making my own milk for 6 months now and no longer throw away
                  those boxes! Let me know if you have any qs about the milk.