eat more rainbows (go raw vegan!)

  • Scott Munson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2007
      Your new year's resolution should be to eat one more rainbow each day
      than you did last year. Legend suggests that a pot of gold can be
      found at the end of each rainbow. That treasure can be cashed in to
      preserve your good health and ward off future disease.

      Society considers that which is white, to be pure. Such a belief can
      be deceptive. By shining white light through a prism, one is
      instantly blessed with the hidden beauty and complex nature of our
      universe. A pure white beam of light reveals its inner essense.

      Most people can name the seven visible colors of the rainbow's
      spectrum. Violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. Of
      course, there are two other colors, often forgotten, but always
      present, ultraviolet and infra- red.

      Animals and insects feel these colors. Plants sense them too. While
      we lack the same receptors and are blind to their existance, our
      handicap cannot negate their influence.

      The ultras and infras of plants are magical substances, indeed! They
      include plant chemicals, or phyto chemicals, such as isoflavones and
      bioflavinoids. Science teaches us that plants protect themselves from
      attack with their own secretions and chemical messengers. Vegetables
      repel insects who would eat them, and blossoms attract other insects
      with a perfume so that their pollens can be spread and their species
      self-propagate. Plants protect themselves from too much heat, or
      cold, or wind, or too much moisture, maintaining their own good
      health with their specialized hormones. Plants can cure their own
      sicknesses and cancers by secreting and bathing themselves with these
      enchanted essences.

      When we eat the plants, we are similarly protected. Modern science
      has confirmed the centuries-old traditions and lore from cultures
      that refined the sacred techniques of using foods as medicine. We
      have often heart that "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." Such

      Today's Perfect Rainbow

      Eat foods of color. The perfect color can be found right in the
      middle of our rainbow, the color green.

      Eat green for wellness.

      In the 1980s, scientists first began to explore how phytochemicals
      prevent cancers. A great amount of emphasis was placed upon the
      fruits and vegetables that contain vibrant colors. The best known of
      these wonder drugs was recognized as beta carotene. That's what gives
      carrots their bright orange hue.

      In the 1990s, scientists at the University of Minnesota (Steinmetz,
      et. al.) categorized different groups of fruits and vegetables
      demonstrating life giving, disease fighting qualities. In doing so,
      they defined some of those magic colors, and the phytochemicals so
      contained within those pigments.

      The violet, indigo and blues of the plant kingdom include phenols and
      dithiolthiolnines contained in eggplant, cruciferous vegetables,
      grapes, plums, and grains.

      Eat onions and shallots, leeks, scallions and garlic for cancer-
      fighting alliums. Those green leafy vegetables contain flavonoids,
      and inositol is found in beans. Green fruits and veggies contain
      phenols, and plant sterols, protease inhibitors and saponins.

      Yellow limonines contained in citrus fruit and squash have also been
      identified as cancer fighters, as have the orange carotines in
      carrots, and my all-time favorite vitamin pill, the cantaloupe.
      Balancing out the rainbow's spectrum would be the red phenols in
      peppers, radishes, and tomatoes.

      Tens of thousands of unique substances have been identified, and
      there are still plant hormones and enzymes yet to be discovered.

      Remarkably, the one plant containing the greatest amount of these
      wonderful phytochemicals is the soybean. The tiny soybean contains
      coumarins, flavonoids, inositol, isoflavones, lignans, phenols, plant
      sterols, protease inhibitors, saponins, and Omega 3 and Omega 6 oils.

      So, on new year's eve, visit your local produce store and treat
      yourself and family to a rainbow. Make this a daily tradition never
      to be broken."

      Robert Cohen, 12/30/05