Re: Did you Know?

  • toni rossi
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7 10:26 AM
      how much fat do you recommend? The problem is finding recipes and
      products in the stores that are inexpensive and can still feed a
      family! How about a recommended shopping list for people who can only
      spend $20? I would love to see a fast food restaurant that only sells
      healthy food!

    • yarrow@sfo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9 9:46 PM
        $20 for a week for a family of 4? or $20 per shopping trip? You won't
        find "products" on that budget. It's always cheaper (in the long run)
        to use the freshest food you can find and process it minimally. My
        idea of the ideal fast food is apples. For $20, you can buy lots of
        brown rice and lentils (much faster than beans, and can cook in the
        same pot with rice) and add a selection of vegetables in season,
        either from the farmers' market or chosen from what's on sale each
        week at the grocery store. Quick breads and muffins are easy to make,
        and flour is a lot cheaper than bread.

        The recommended amount of fat is no added fat/oil and no animal
        products, and if your health is already compromised, sparing use of
        high-fat plant foods such as nuts and seeds, tofu, and avocado.

        Recipes are available on the internet. Search "McDougall" "recipes"
        for lots of free recipes. Also look for the fatfree web forum (not
        sure if it's still up). Cookbooks you can buy include Fat-Free and
        Easy by Jennifer Raymond (or just google her name -- she used to
        teach cooking in this area and all of her recipes have been tested in
        many classes). I would trust any of her recipes to turn out great,
        but this cookbook focuses on the easiest recipes.

        Most people have a handful of standard meals they eat regularly. All
        you have to do is find (or modify) a selection of recipes you like
        enough to have once a week. Often it's the seasonings that make the
        dishes special, or enable you to serve leftovers that taste different
        from one day to the next. If you're used to high-fat, high-salt
        foods, after you stop eating them it may take a couple weeks to
        retrain your palate so that you can appreciate the flavors of
        different foods.

        --- In <mailto:SFVeg%40yahoogroups.com>SFVeg@yahoogroups.com,