Did you Know?

  • CyberBrook
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2007
      *Did You Know?*

       When a woman begins a low-fat diet, the amount of estrogen in her
      bloodstream can drop by 15 -- 50 per cent within a few weeks, depending on
      how low-fat her previous diet is. Less estrogen means less stimulus for
      cancer
      cell growth.

       A study of 953 women who had been diagnosed with breast cancer showed
      that their risk of dying at any point in time increased by 40 per cent
      for every
      1,000 grams of fat consumed per month.

       A person on a typical American diet consumes approximately 1,500 more
      grams of fat each
      month than a person on a low-fat pure vegetarian diet.

       A 1998 Harvard study found that men who typically consumed more than
      two servings of milk
      per day were at 60 per cent greater risk of developing prostate cancer
      than those who generally
      avoided milk.

      from The Survivor's Handbook: eating right for cancer survival
      published by the Cancer Project, as printed in the Edmonton Journal,
      Jan. 29, 2007

    • toni rossi
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
        how much fat do you recommend? The problem is finding recipes and
        products in the stores that are inexpensive and can still feed a
        family! How about a recommended shopping list for people who can only
        spend $20? I would love to see a fast food restaurant that only sells
        healthy food!

      • yarrow@sfo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2007
          $20 for a week for a family of 4? or $20 per shopping trip? You won't
          find "products" on that budget. It's always cheaper (in the long run)
          to use the freshest food you can find and process it minimally. My
          idea of the ideal fast food is apples. For $20, you can buy lots of
          brown rice and lentils (much faster than beans, and can cook in the
          same pot with rice) and add a selection of vegetables in season,
          either from the farmers' market or chosen from what's on sale each
          week at the grocery store. Quick breads and muffins are easy to make,
          and flour is a lot cheaper than bread.

          The recommended amount of fat is no added fat/oil and no animal
          products, and if your health is already compromised, sparing use of
          high-fat plant foods such as nuts and seeds, tofu, and avocado.

          Recipes are available on the internet. Search "McDougall" "recipes"
          for lots of free recipes. Also look for the fatfree web forum (not
          sure if it's still up). Cookbooks you can buy include Fat-Free and
          Easy by Jennifer Raymond (or just google her name -- she used to
          teach cooking in this area and all of her recipes have been tested in
          many classes). I would trust any of her recipes to turn out great,
          but this cookbook focuses on the easiest recipes.

          Most people have a handful of standard meals they eat regularly. All
          you have to do is find (or modify) a selection of recipes you like
          enough to have once a week. Often it's the seasonings that make the
          dishes special, or enable you to serve leftovers that taste different
          from one day to the next. If you're used to high-fat, high-salt
          foods, after you stop eating them it may take a couple weeks to
          retrain your palate so that you can appreciate the flavors of
          different foods.

          --- In <mailto:SFVeg%40yahoogroups.com>SFVeg@yahoogroups.com,