Re: [SFVeg] Coffee creamer alternatives

  • Beatrice Sadeghi
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
      I have the same problem. Is anybody out there who can suggest a creamer in powdered form that is non-dairy? All these so called non-dairy creamers that have been around for a long time, are NOT non-dairy. They contain sodium caseinate, which is the milk protein.

      Beatrice Sadeghi

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2007
        I've found this site and looks promising!
        http://www.mimiccreme.com/
        http://www.mimiccreme.com/article.html

        I have the same problem. Is anybody out there who can suggest a creamer in powdered form that is non-dairy? All these so called non-dairy creamers that have been around for a long time, are NOT non-dairy. They contain sodium caseinate, which is the milk protein.

        Beatrice Sadeghi

        Other than soymilk, what's a good alternative coffee creamer? I've
        been experimenting (unsuccessfully i might add) with hemp, rice and
        almond milk.

        any suggesstions will be helpful

        thanks!!

        tina

        Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

      • Beatrice Sadeghi
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2007
          Thanks for the link. It looks like a very nice product. But because I only need a little every day as a coffee creamer, I am looking for the powdered product that is truly dairy free and doesn't spoil.

          Beatrice Sadeghi

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 19, 2007
            Hi Everyone.

            I actually am familiar with this product, MimicCreme. They are
            working on a powdered version of the creamer but that is still under
            development. In the meantime, keep an eye out
            for the pint size unsweetened size that will be coming out in the
            beginning of 2008.

            --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, Beatrice Sadeghi <beasadeghi@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the link. It looks like a very nice product. But because
            I only need a little every day as a coffee creamer, I am looking for
            the powdered product that is truly dairy free and doesn't spoil.

            > Beatrice Sadeghi

          • ptrgilder
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 19, 2007
              Hi Everyone-

              Is it just me or does anyone else think that this quest for meat and dairy analogs is a bit
              crazy? What's wrong with enjoying the pure, unadulterated taste of coffee? Why attempt to
              imitate what was a bad idea to begin with - mixing dairy with coffee. As I understand it, the
              combination was an attempt to make coffee less of a stomach irritant and I think we are all
              well aware that dairy does no such thing.

              --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <crestron1177@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone.
              >
              > I actually am familiar with this product, MimicCreme. They are
              > working on a powdered version of the creamer but that is still under
              > development. In the meantime, keep an eye out
              > for the pint size unsweetened size that will be coming out in the
              > beginning of 2008.

            • Jillian Steinberger
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 19, 2007
                I agree that it is a little weird to search for analogs to meat and dairy
                products. Still, I have to admit that I enjoy the occasional BLT when
                tomatoes and parsley are ready in my garden. I consider it falling off the
                wagon, but it's not such a bad wagon to fall off of (considering the
                alternatives).

                I have been off coffee for about a week, drinking tea instead. I really like
                homemade pinenut milk in Earl Grey with a few lavender flowers thrown in.
                Pinenut milk tastes great in coffee, too. It's rich and a little sweet and
                very creamy.

                Cheers,

                Jillian

                The Garden Artisan
                jlsteinberger@...
                415-359-3938 (cell)

                "We may not be prepared to act on this knowledge, but we know that
                civilizations that abuse their soil eventually collapse."

                --Michael Pollan in 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' (2006, Penguin), summarizing
                English agronomist Sir Albert Howard

                _____

                --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups. <mailto:SFVeg%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Dan"
                <crestron1177@...> wrote:

                > Hi Everyone.
                >
                > I actually am familiar with this product, MimicCreme. They are
                > working on a powdered version of the creamer but that is still under
                > development. In the meantime, keep an eye out
                > for the pint size unsweetened size that will be coming out in the
                > beginning of 2008.

              • Jon
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 20, 2007
                  --- ptrgilder <gilder@...> wrote:
                  > Is it just me or does anyone else think that this
                  > quest for meat and dairy analogs is a bit
                  > crazy? What's wrong with enjoying the pure,
                  > unadulterated taste of coffee?

                  I have to agree. Whenever someone asks what I use in place of cream,
                  I usually reply, "better coffee." Blue Bottle and Philz are local
                  roasters that are socially responsible (hitting all those "organic"
                  and "fair trade" buzzwords we love) and extremely good. There are
                  many others all over the Bay.

                  Milk and sweetening should only be used to mask the taste of bad or
                  burned coffees and chocolates. If anything from a cow or a cane gets
                  in my Blue Bottle, I expect an apology.

                  So, in reply to the original question, get a cheap bean grinder
                  (doubles as a spice grinder!) and French press online, and with all
                  the money you'll save on sweeteners and milks, sample the nicer
                  roasters. For extra credit, melt some dark chocolate in there and
                  make some love.

                  Jon