Recipe: Cholent

  • rojony57
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2007
      Courtesy of VegNews.

      Recipe: Cholent
      Could we be any happier that Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope
      Romero have a new book coming out? Well, actually, yes, we can be and
      are because Isa has shared one of the 250 maw-watering recipes from
      their forthcoming Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook with us!

      Here's how Isa describes this month's recipe, "Cholent is a Jewish
      beef stew that's typically served on the Sabbath. Here I use textured
      vegetable protein, kidney beans, and lentils to create a thick, full-
      bodied pot of stick-to-your-ribs yumminess. Caraway seeds give it the
      Eastern European flavor that sets it apart from your run-of-the-mill
      stew, so now would be a great time to add them to your spice rack
      arsenal. I like to just crush crackers over the top and serve, but
      it's great with rice or bread, too."

      Make sure to check out our full review of Veganomicon in the
      January+February edition of VegNews!

      What You Need:

      2 tablespoons olive oil
      1 large onion, diced medium
      3 cloves garlic, minced
      1/2 teaspoon tarragon
      1 teaspoon caraway seeds
      1 teaspoon salt
      Several dashes fresh black pepper
      1/2 cup red cooking wine
      2 bay leaves
      1/2 cup french lentils
      1 cup peeled sliced carrots (about 1/2-inch thick)
      4 medium sized potatoes (about 1-1/4 pounds, peeled and cut into 3/4-
      inch chunks)
      1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
      3 cups water
      1 cup TVP chunks (not granules or crumbles)
      1 cup frozen lima beans (or canned and drained)â€"green peas are fine
      if you hate lima beans, hater
      1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

      What You Do:

      1. Preheat a large soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions in
      the oil until translucent (5â€"7 minutes). Add the garlic, tarragon,
      caraway seeds, salt, and pepper. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant
      (about 1 minute more.)

      2. Deglaze the pot with red wine. Add bay leaves, lentils, carrots,
      potatoes, tomato sauce, water, and TVP chunks. Mix together. Cover
      and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, cook covered for about 30
      minutes (potatoes and carrots should be tender).

      3. Add the lima beans and kidney beans and cook for about 10 more
      minutes. Serve like crazy.