Bloggin' in the Bay: "Democracy never tasted so sweet in the Golden State"

  • christine@eastbayanimaladvocates.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007
      http://ebaa.blogspot.com/2007/10/democracy-never-tasted-so-sweet-in.html

      Democracy never tasted so sweet in the Golden State

      Last night, the Ballot Initiative Campaign Rally kicked off in San
      Francisco with a strong show of support from Bay Area residents. Over
      140 local animal advocates packed the halls of the SF/SPCA to learn more
      about the benchmark drive to protect millions of animals in California
      agriculture.

      EBAA is committed to providing a strong base of support throughout the
      13-month campaign to enact "The Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act"
      into law. In fact, EBAA volunteers have signed on to collect at least
      6,000 signatures before February 28, 2008. Our signature gathering
      efforts will be folded together with our public outreach for the
      Lunardi's Abuse Campaign. You can join on by emailing
      volunter@....

      The Associated Press ran a story today about the new campaign to ban
      battery cages, veal crates and gestation stalls in the Golden State.
      Read an excerpt from the news story:

      "Nineteen million chickens in California produce about five billion eggs
      a year - making them the nation's fifth-largest supplier of omelets and
      scrambled eggs. Now, animal welfare groups hope to change the way the
      hens live and lay. The groups are collecting signatures for a ballot
      initiative to give the hens more room to roam. The measure would force
      farmers to change current practices that keep most egg-laying hens, veal
      calves and pregnant pigs in small cages or boxes for most of their
      lives. It would require that enclosures be big enough for the animals to
      fully extend their wings or legs, lie down, stand up and turn around."

      Over the last several years, EBAA has examined the actual living
      conditions of animals in agriculture, especially egg-laying chickens, in
      the California's Central Valley. Watch our mini-documentary about
      California egg production online at
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hks86Xxx1ZE

      To learn more about animal cruelty in California agriculture, visit our
      online hub at www.CaliforniaAnimalAgriculture.com.