- Courtesy of Veggie Jews And Maida Genser
Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:32 pm (PST)
Reggae Burgers - Recipe
from Vegetarian Planet, by Didi Emmons (Harvard Common Press, 1997).
4 slices stale bread (or toasted sandwich bread)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, or 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
1. Using a food processor, pulse bread to make crumbs, then place
them in a large bowl.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat
and add onions. Saute them, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or
until softened. Add garlic, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg, and saute
for 2 minutes more. Put this mixture in the food processor, then add
black beans, rice, and chopped pepper. Pulse ingredients until they
are chopped but not pureed, then transfer mixture to a bowl.
3. Add breadcrumbs to bowl, salt and pepper to taste, and stir
thoroughly with a spoon. Add more bread crumbs if mixture is too wet.
4. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Form
mixture into 4 patties and cook about 4 minutes per side until
burgers have formed a dark brown crust.
5. Serve with your favorite rolls and lettuce, tomato, and ketchup, if
*I find it works better to form and chill the patties for at least 20
minutes before cooking them. They hold together better. They can also
be frozen and cooked later.