UCLA Study- Stay Healthy Eat HOT SPICY food- (article)

  • raosam2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2004
      http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_543059,0050.htm

      Want to be healthy? Tuck into hot Indian curry!
      Indo-Asian News Service
      London, January 22

      If you want to stay healthy, tuck into a hot Indian curry.

      Experts claim that spicy dishes can help battle a range of illnesses,
      including Alzheimer's disease.

      Tikkas and vindaloos can also soothe asthma and coughs, and
      researchers say they even help yoga fans, because they help to stretch
      muscle ligaments.

      Scientists have found that curcumin — an extract of curry powder
      ingredient turmeric — is a "natural antibiotic".

      A team from the University of California in Los Angeles believes that
      curries reduce the number of amyloid plaques, a sticky build-up that
      knots around brains cells causing Alzheimer's.

      The experts claim that yellow spice turmeric can cut the number of
      these plaques by up to half. The findings may explain why rates of
      Alzheimer's are much lower among the elderly in India than in the West.

      New drugs based on the extract could be used to prevent the disease in
      the future.

      Researcher Sally Frautschy confirmed that the compound had potential,
      especially when used together with existing anti-inflammatory drugs
      such as ibuprofen.

      A spokesman for the Alzheimer's Society said: "Turmeric is found in
      everything from mild kormas to the hottest vindaloos. The crucial
      chemical is curcumin.

      "It is an excellent natural antibiotic but it could be many years
      before such drugs are made widely available."

      Curry spices have other benefits. Experts say they aid digestion and
      help fight off infections. Turmeric also helps to lower cholesterol
      and cut fatty deposits in the arteries.

      Sam Rao
      www.samrao.com

      From HT- allrights reserved
    • raosam2001
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2004
        Folks on this list-
        SFBA Veg DIDNOT allow my email of Article on UCLA Study -"Stay Healthy
        Eat spicy food".

        Was wondering if anyone on THIS list thought I should NOT have posted it.

        (In some ways I am happy that at least this list is not That Euro-centric)

        Regards
        Sam