Discounts for IVU World Vegetarian Congress, July 27 - August 3, 2007...and more

  • jcadiz2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2007
      FIRST DEADLINE FOR DISCOUNTS FOR IVU WORLD VEGETARIAN CONGRESS

      Register early for a discount for the IVU Centenary Congress, Sunday
      July 27 - Sunday August 3, 2008. If you register before July 1st,
      2007, there is a discount of €50 (approx. UKP34 / US$64); then up to
      January 1, 2008, the discount is €40 and until January 30, 2008, it
      will be €20. After that, it will be full price:

      http://www.ivu.org/congress/2008/registration.html

      ------------------

      FEATURED SPEAKERS AT IVU WORLD VEGETARIAN CONGRESS – JUL 2008

      The 2008 IVU World Vegetarian Congress in Dresden, Germany, 27 Jul –
      3 Aug, 2008, features many prominent speakers. Here is information on
      ONE of them, Vandana Shiva.

      Vandana Shiva is a physicist, ecofeminist, environmental activist and
      author. Her works include over 300 papers in leading scientific and
      technical journals.

      Born to a father who was the conservator of forests and a farmer
      mother with a love for nature, Shiva participated in the nonviolent
      Chipko movement during the 1970s. The movement, whose main
      participants were women, adopted the tactic of hugging trees to
      prevent their felling.

      She is one of the leaders of the International Forum on
      Globalization, (along with Jerry Mander, Edward Goldsmith, Ralph
      Nader, Jeremy Rifkin, et al.), and a figure of the global solidarity
      movement known as the alter-globalization movement. She has argued
      for the wisdom of many traditional practices, as is evident from her
      book Vedic Ecology that draws upon India's Vedic heritage.

      In 1993, Shiva received the Right Livelihood Award (also known as the
      Alternative Nobel Prize) "...For placing women and ecology at the
      heart of modern development discourse." Other awards she has received
      include the Global 500 Award of the United Nations Environment
      Programme (UNEP) in 1993 [2], and the Earth Day International Award
      of the United Nations (UN) for her commitment to the preservation of
      the planet.

      ------------------

      EATING ANIMAL PRODUCTS FUELS GLOBAL WARMING

      Vegetarian Union Challenges Al Gore and Global Climate Activists to
      Acknowledge A Most Inconvenient Truth

      The Vegetarian Union of North America (VUNA), a network of many
      independent vegetarian groups, and the North American arm of IVU,
      challenges global warming activists and environmentalists to
      acknowledge that eating meat is one of the greatest causes of global
      warming. By eating lower on the food chain - ideally, an-all-plant-
      based diet -- humankind can take an essential and enormous step in
      reducing global warming.

      "Al Gore and climate activists have consistently failed to recognize
      one of the most inconvenient truths of our time: that animal
      agriculture and animal product consumption on a global scale is
      perhaps the greatest (anthropogenic) cause of global warming today,"
      said Saurabh Dalal, president of VUNA. "Given a personal choice
      between helping to save the planet and consuming animal products, too
      many people who should know better continue to gorge on their chicken
      wings and hamburgers."

      A 2006 United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) report
      entitled Livestock's Long Shadow
      (www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/2006/1000448) concludes that global
      animal agriculture contributes more greenhouse gas emissions (in CO2
      equivalents), an astonishing 18 percent of the total, more than all
      forms of transportation.

      The production of meat and other animal products for food contributes
      significantly to the primary global warming gases carbon dioxide,
      methane, and nitrous oxide, accounting for 9%, 37%, and 65% of world
      totals, respectively. Furthermore, the global warming potential and
      effect of these gases is more striking since methane and nitrous
      oxide are 23 and 296 times more harmful than carbon dioxide. A
      University of Chicago study found that the average American diet,
      including all food processing steps, annually produces 1.5 tons of
      CO2-equivalent more than a meat-free diet.

      Yet the media, public officials and even most environmentalists are
      failing to make people aware of this inconvenient truth, claims
      Richard Schwartz, a VUNA councilor and president of Jewish
      Vegetarians of North America. "Animal-based diets are threatening our
      planet, said Schwartz. "Every meal, like every trip, is a climate-
      change decision. Those in a position to educate the public should
      help people understand that their choice of diet is in fact more
      significant than their choice of automobile."

      For these reasons and more (see BACKGROUNDER, below), VUNA is
      initiating a major campaign to urge Al Gore and the environmental
      community to transfer the meat from their plates to the center of
      their climate change-fighting agendas. "We will also be urging
      governments, corporations, educational and religious institutions,
      and other already progressive groups to actively promote plant-based
      diets and their tremendous benefits while continuing to empower
      individuals with information on environmentally affirming choices,"
      said Dalal.

      BACKGROUNDER

      The world is currently raising over 50 billion farmed animals for
      slaughter each year and, in addition to its major impact on global
      warming, this is contributing significantly to the destruction of
      tropical rainforests and other valuable habitats, rapid species
      extinction, soil erosion and depletion and other environmental
      threats. Because of its high degree of inefficiency compared to plant
      protein production, animal agriculture is disproportionately
      depleting the planet's dwindling reserves of fresh water, land, fuel,
      and other resources. To make matters worse, the FAO report is
      projecting a major increase in the demand for animal products that
      will double the number of farmed animals by 2050.

      This is especially alarming since the Intergovernmental Panel on
      Climate Change (IPCC), a group composed of hundreds of the world's
      leading climate scientists, is predicting catastrophic effects if
      changes are not made soon, and many noted climate scientists are
      warning that global warming may spiral out of control within a decade
      if current conditions continue.

      In addition to the environmental benefits, decades of research
      suggest that a population-wide shift away from meat and other animal
      foods toward plant foods would drastically reduce heart disease,
      cancer, obesity and other chronic degenerative diseases which
      currently account for trillions of dollars in global health costs.
      Scaling back global animal agriculture would also allow the world's
      limited arable land, fresh water and other agricultural resources to
      feed hundreds of millions more people.

      Today eating a vegetarian or vegan diet doesn't mean giving up the
      enjoyment of eating. In fact today's vegetarian dishes are every bit
      as flavorful as those you'd find on an animal-based diet, if not more
      so, and many top chefs now cook without using animal ingredients.

      Further information on all of the above and more, including links to
      other material on dietary connections to global warming, may be found
      at the VUNA web site (HTTP://www.ivu.org/vuna/globalwarming )

      Contacts: Gerry Coffey, Councilor, Vegetarian Union of North America
      (VUNA) gmcoffey@... 256-350-2823 home 256-318-2340 cell
      or Richard Schwartz, VUNA Councilor President@... (718)
      761-5876 home 917 576 0344 cell

      ------------------

      INTERNATIONAL VEGAN FEST – KARNATAKA, INDIA - 30 SEP–6 OCT

      From 30 Sep to 6 Oct, the Indian Vegan Society will host the 11th
      International Vegan Festival at the RNS Residency in Murdeshwar,
      Karnataka, India. For more info, visit the Vegan Festival website

      http://www.ivu.org/veganfest

      ------------------

      VEGETARIAN DIETS AND A HEALTHY WEIGHT

      Here is an interview with IVU Science Coordinator, Dr Stephen Walsh -

      http://www.ivu.org/members/council/stephen-walsh.html - author of
      `Plant Based Nutrition and Health'.

      1. Can you please briefly describe a couple studies which suggest
      that a vegetarian diet may help people attain a healthy weight?

      The most usual studies compare vegetarians with non-vegetarians.
      Pretty consistently the vegetarians are a couple of kilograms
      lighter, and the vegans a couple of kilograms lighter again. A recent
      example of this type of study was a paper (International Journal of
      Obesity, 2003; 27, 728–734) from the European Prospective
      Investigation of Cancer (EPIC) study group in Oxford. A follow up
      study of the same group (International Journal of Obesity, 2006; 30:
      1389-1396) looked at change in weight over five years and found
      thatwhile all dietary groups gained weight with age, the average
      weight gain for meat-eaters was 2.1 kg while vegans gained just 1.5
      kg. People who changed their diet over the five years to include more
      Animal products gained 2.3 kg while those who moved towards a vegan
      diet gained just 1.2 kg.

      2. What aspects of vegetarian diets might explain the beneficial
      effect that vegetarian food might have on weight?

      In the EPIC study high protein and low fibre intake were both linked
      with higher weight. Many other studies have supported a role of
      higher fibre intake from whole plant foods in avoiding both excess
      weight and the associated health complications such as insulin
      resistance and diabetes.

      3. Is it possible that the relatively higher water content of fruits
      and vegetables might help people eat less because the water content
      decreases appetite?

      It seems unlikely that the water content directly accounts for the
      benefit as soft drinks are associated with weight gain. However, the
      lower calorie density of some plant foods (calories for a given
      weight/ volume/ amount of fibre) may play a part in reducing calorie
      intake: it's easier to overeat doughnuts than apples.

      4. Being vegetarian is no guarantee that people will attain a healthy
      weight. What are the other factors involved in achieving a healthy
      weight, and what is the relative importance of each of those factors?

      The most important factor is physical activity. In the EPIC study,
      very active individuals (exercising for at least an hour a day)
      showed a weight gain of 1.5 kg while those who were inactive gained
      2.4 kg. A combination of a relatively unprocessed vegetarian or vegan
      diet and an active lifestyle provides a sound strategy for avoiding
      excessive weight gain in young to middle-aged adults.

      5. Is there ongoing research into the link between vegetarianism and
      weight? If so, what research questions are being investigated?

      The observed differences in weight between vegetarians and meat
      eaters are pretty well established now.

      What is still in dispute is why these differences occur and what
      specific factors linked to a vegetarian diet affect weight. Part of
      the difference may simply be that vegetarians can't always lay their
      hands on convenient high calorie snack foods when they feel the urge.
      Part may simply be that vegetarians are more controlled about their
      food choices in general and are more health conscious. Part, however,
      is likely to be the relatively high fibre and moderate fat and
      protein content of typical vegetarian diets. Ongoing research aims to
      clarify the relative importance of these and other factors.

      6. Is lower weight always better?

      Anyone with a body mass index (weight in kg divided by height in
      metres squared) below 19 would probably be better off being a bit
      heavier. The statistics tend to favour a BMI of about 20-25 as best
      on average.

      Lightly built people may be better on the low end of this while
      heavier built people may be better on the high end. A
      substantial "spare tyre" of fat around the stomach is always a bad
      sign but so is being scrawny: "size zero" is far from ideal for
      health.

      We should also be aware that in the elderly weight loss can be a
      bigger threat than weight gain. Older adults should be careful to
      ensure that they consume sufficient food and should emphasise protein-
      rich foods such as oats, soya products, beans, peas and lentils to
      ensure a good protein intake as calorie intake declines.

      ------------------

      BACK TO THE FUTURE FOR MARS BARS

      The maker of Mars bars and other candy has abandoned plans to use
      animal rennet in the bars:
      The about face apparently was a result of a campaign led by the UK
      Vegetarian Society. Thus, Mars bars have returned closer to what we
      hope to see if the future: a world where our fellow animals are not
      killed for human food.

      ------------------

      FUND-RAISING OPPORTUNITY FROM VEGDINING

      VegDining - http://www.vegdining.com – is a website that contains
      restaurant listings and other information of interest to vegetarians
      and meat reducers. From now until the end of October 2007 (World
      Vegetarian Month), if you have an active, purchased VegDining Card or
      VegDining login account, you can nominate any two vegetarian groups
      that you'd like us to support.

      Groups will receive $1 US of support for each nomination received, up
      to a maximum of $5,000 US per group.

      Groups will receive support in the form of one or more of the
      following:

      merchandise including VegDining Cards, restaurant gift certificates,
      books, magazines, or other vegetarian

      -related items for resale/prize giveaways by the group paid
      advertising or sponsorship by VegDining in that group's
      newsletter/magazine, other publications, website, events,
      etc., cash donations.

      In addition, VegDining will offer part of the proceeds on every
      VegDining Card and login account purchased until October 31 towards
      the International Vegetarian Union's (IVU) Regional Development fund,
      which assists new vegetarian groups around the world, many in poorer
      countries. A minimum of $500 US will be donated by VegDining to
      support this very worthwhile program.

      ------------------

      POEM – `CALL US BY OUR TRUE NAMES'

      Here's a poem inspired by a poem by the well-known author Thich Nhat
      Hanh titled "Call Me By My True Names". The author of the poem below
      is Shen Shi'an, of Singapore, info@....

      Call Us By Our True Names

      The last time you ordered me for dinner,
      you forgot my true name.

      I am not some wonton.
      Please call me by my true name -
      I am "Pig".
      I wish you saw how lovable I was.
      You might have given me a personal name too.
      Please remember I was killed unhappily,
      even as you eat me happily.
      For I loved my life, just as you love yours.

      I am not some nugget.
      Please call me by my true name -
      I am "Chicken".
      I wish you saw how lovable I was.
      You might have given me a personal name too.
      Please remember I was killed unhappily,
      even as you eat me happily.
      For I loved my life, just as you love yours.

      I am not some burger.
      Please call me by my true name -
      I am "Cow".
      I wish you saw how lovable I was.
      You might have given me a personal name too.
      Please remember I was killed unhappily,
      even as you eat me happily.
      For I loved my life, just as you love yours.

      I am not some fillet.
      Please call me by my true name -
      I am "Fish".
      I wish you saw how lovable I was.
      You might have given me a personal name too.
      Please remember I was killed unhappily,
      even as you eat me happily.
      For I loved my life, just as you love yours.

      I am not some foie gras.
      Please call me by my true name -
      I am "Goose".
      I wish you saw how lovable I was.
      You might have given me a personal name too.
      Please remember I was killed unhappily,
      even as you eat me happily.
      For I loved my life, just as you love yours.

      Before you order me for dinner next time,
      please remember my true name.

      ------------------

      BLOOD DONATION STAR IS VEGETARIAN

      Some people mistakenly believe that vegetarian diets lack iron and,
      thus, vegetarians are not able to donate blood. Below is an interview
      with Mr GOH Joo Heng (goodman48@...), one of Singapore's
      top blood donors.

      1. How long have you been a vegetarian?
      10 years

      2. What led you to go veg?
      I realised it was cruel to shed the blood of other animals to enrich
      my own life.

      3. What kind of veg are you?
      Vegan

      4. When did you first become a blood donor? What kind of blood
      donation do you do?
      My first donation was during junior college about 15 years ago. I
      started donating frequently after becoming a vegetarian. I have
      donated whole blood, plasma and platelets. Now, I donate mostly
      platelets and occasionally whole blood.

      5. How many times have you donated blood?
      Around 140. 83 times through the blood bank/mobile service and around
      60 times platelets at Singapore General Hospital.

      6. Why do you donate so often?
      To save more lives and to return to the universe as much blood as
      possible that I have taken.

      7. Do you worry that donating so often will make you weak?
      I don't feel weak so there is no reason to worry. I monitor my
      haemoglobin level and serum iron store. So far, I have always passed
      the haemoglobin level test prior to blood donation. My most recent
      haemoglobin level on 8 May 07 was 14.8 g/dl, well above the 12.5 g/dl
      required for blood donation.

      Recently, I also took a serum iron test to make sure my iron store is
      ok. The test also turned out to be ok.

      8. How do you obtain enough iron?
      I don't pay particular attention to getting enough iron. A healthy
      vegetarian diet will take care of itself.

      9. Have you ever encountered doctors or others who have counselled
      you to eat meat? If so, how did you respond?
      No, they don't have a reason to do so, as I rarely need to visit the
      doctor, and I've passed all the haemoglobin and iron level tests.

      My omnivore sister also donates blood, and sometimes she failed the
      haemoglobin level test and couldn't

      donate. When that happened, I asked her to drink vegetable juice and
      her haemoglobin level increased and she could donate again.

      Eating meat to boost the iron level has side effects. Meat is loaded
      with pesticides, antibiotics and growth hormones. It can also result
      in excessive iron, which is dangerous.

      10. Have you received any special acknowledgement for your donations?
      Yes, the Bronze and Silver Award from the blood bank here in
      Singapore. I have clocked 83 times at the blood bank, so I should
      receive the Ruby Award soon. My 60 donations at Singapore General
      Hospital are not recorded in blood bank database. If they are
      included, I am only short of around 10 donations to earn the Champion
      of Champions Award, which only a handful of people in Singapore have
      achieved. I think the number of people who have earned with award is
      less than 20, and they are much older than me.

      11. Any advice for other vegetarians who want to donate blood?
      Those with further queries can post their questions on the donorweb
      forum: http://forums.donorweb.org

      I am the forum moderator there and will do my best to answer the
      questions.

      ------------------

      WELCOME TO ORGANIZATIONS THAT HAVE RECENTLY REGISTERED WITH IVU

      China
      - Tempeh powder supplier in china - http://www.tempeh.info

      France
      - VegiPyrenees - http://www.vegipyrenees.com

      India
      - Center for Inner Sciences - http://www.centerforinnersciences.org
      - Cruelty free natural fiber footwear -
      http://www.rageshmastercrafts.com
      - Bhagouauty Prime Waves - Dr. Harmnder Singh - bhagouauty@...

      Ireland
      - Mary O'Sullivan - quite-contrary - http://quite-contrary.bebo.com

      Mexico
      - Aroma Leaf - Bio Botanica - http://www.botanica.com.mx

      Puerto Rico
      - Villa Taina, beach apartment - http://www.asiquesi.com

      Russia
      - hippy.ru - http://www.hippy.ru
      - GoVeg.ru - Go Vegan! - http://www.goveg.ru

      Taiwan
      - Yo & Li Fine Vegetarian - http://055325888.emmm.tw

      UK
      - Vegetarian Recipes Realm - http://www.recipesrealm.com
      - Over the Rainbow Wales – http://www.overtherainbowwales.co.uk

      USA
      - Powdercake girl band - http://www.powdercakeband.com
      - League for Earth and Animal Protection (LEAP) -
      http://www.leapnonprofit.org
      - Dr. Charlotte Laws - Directors of Animal Wefare (DAW) -
      http://www.DAWprogram.org
      - Book Lovers Cafe, vegetarian cafe and bookstore, Gainesville FL -
      http://www.thebookloverscafe.com
      - Vegetarian Society of South Jersey (VSSJ) - http://www.vssj.com
      - Soychick.com - http://www.soychick.com
      - Vegetarian Foodie - http://www.vegetarian-foodie.com
      - The Retreat at Washington Lake NY - http://www.wlretreat.com
      - Eat at Julia's WA - http://Eatatjulias.com
      - RawInTen.com - http://www.RawInTen.com

      Vietnam
      - Caodaism Veg group - Ho Chi Minh City - Nguyen Chi Lan -
      nguyenchilan2612@...

      PLEASE WRITE FOR IVU NEWS

      Dear Veg Activist

      Please use this newsletter as a way to share your knowledge, ideas
      and
      experiences with fellow veg activists.

      Thx. -–george jacobs – george@...