RE: [SFVeg] Government plans to tag whales in Sacramento River by cross-bow

  • VeggieJews
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2007
      It's nice that tagging the whales is "probably" harmless, but, with all due
      respect, that misses the point.

      To tag an animal is to display ownership of an animal. It is an act of
      disrespect that says that wildlife is ours to use, exploit or abuse as we
      wish. It seems that every time we humans, in our arrogance, try to "manage"
      wildlife we wind up destroying wildlife. Tagging and taking tissue samples
      from animals who cannot consent to such acts continues to send that wrong
      message. Those who really care for animals, like Jane Goodall, study
      wildlife without tagging or otherwise interfering with it. That's what
      respect is all about.

      If you think that tagging and taking tissue samples from animals who cannot
      consent is acceptable, consider your reaction if I tagged or took a tissue
      sample from you without consent. You would be outraged that I had violated
      your human rights, and properly so. Since laws exist to protect humans but
      not animals, you would probably have me arrested and then sue me as well.
      And you'd be right to do so. Similarly, performing such acts on other
      species who cannot consent should be a violation of their right to live free
      from tampering by humans. Let's fact it, tagging and taking tissue samples
      is rarely done in the best interest of the animals but, usually, is done in
      the best interest of "scientists" who are more interested in their own
      careers than in animals. Most scientists come closest to animals when they
      are on their dinner plates. Thus, Japanese scientists "study" whales by
      killing them in continuing and illegal whale hunts.

      So, let's not confuse human arrogance and self-interest with an animals
      interest in being respected and left alone in protected habitat. You can't
      respect wildlife and "tag" it at the same time. To do so is like performing
      vivisection on animals and then claiming that it is being done in the best
      interest of the animal, despite the risks and pain to the animal.

      The scientists' alleged motive in tagging is really not the issue. The
      issue is: When will we arrogant humans learn that animals are not ours to
      use or abuse. If you want the answer to be "now," go vegan!

      Pete Cohon

      _____