Potluck & Free Lecture & Book Signing by Michele Simon “Appetite for Profit”

  • rojony57
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2007
      Potluck & Free Lecture & Book Signing by Michele Simon "Appetite for
      Profit"
      Saturday, April 14: Socializing & Appetizers 6:00 p.m.; Dining 6:30
      p.m.; Lecture 8:00 p.m.
      IOA, 3600 Geary Boulevard, San Francisco. $1 suggested donation for
      members & their guests with food; $2 for non-members with food. Add
      $8 to each category without food. (Volunteers interested in helping
      set up should call Nancy 415-750-0614.)
      Michele will discuss her recently published book Appetite for Profit:
      How the Food Industry Undermines Our Health and How to Fight Back.
      Her book explains why we cannot trust food corporations to
      do the right thing; describes the local battles of going up against
      the powerful food lobbies; and offers a comprehensive guide to the
      public relations and lobbying tactics that food companies employ to
      trick the American public. Endorsements for the book as a "must to
      read" are: Marion Nestle, nutrition professor & author Food Politics
      & What to Eat. "I am requiring all of my public health nutrition
      students to read this book." Frances Moore Lappe, author of Diet for
      a Small Planet & Democracy's Edge says: "Simon rips the mask off the
      food industry. John Stauber, author of Mad Cow USA, Toxic Sludge is
      Good for You, & Trust Us, We're Experts says: "Simon exposes the
      corporate greed and propaganda controlling our media and politics on
      critical issues of health and sustainability. Library Journal:
      Starred Review: "This book is recommended for public and academic
      libraries." Even non-vegetarians should hear this lecture.