Lunar Eclipse

  • Irondoll
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6 3:05 PM
      To Dave G.

      Here's what a multi-decade amateur astrologer friend told me:

      Lunar eclipses are not really worth a trip per se. Most of the night there is this big bright moon ruining any chance of seeing anything dark skies offer. Full totality will offer a sight of the moon as orangeish to deep copper red or even brownish. Totality should be around 45 min..

      Here are links for this eclipse;
      http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/eclipse/le207.html

      http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEplot/LEplot2001/LE2007Aug28T.GIF

      Getting out of the city is fine if you wish. Hotels and motels are not usually found where dark skies may be found if you think about it.

      Consider going to Fremont Peak State Park. The peak is high enough and still reasonibly dark. There us a motel down near San Juan Bautista I think.

      I would recommend just taking a van or pickup, rent or borrow, and crashing in the back. Sleeping bags are fine as it should be warm in August. You could even just take a pad and lay out on the ground.

      Here is the link for Fremont Peak observatory;
      http://fpoa.net/

      Poke around and follow some of the links. Some nice pics of the observatory.

      JZ via Pat G.

    • Dave Goggin
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7 10:25 AM
        >Here's what a multi-decade amateur astrologer friend told me:

        I hope you mean astronomer.

        >Lunar eclipses are not really worth a trip per se. Most of the >night there is this big bright moon ruining any chance of seeing >anything dark skies offer.

        Yes... but during the total phase even though the moon is still visible there isn't enough light to ruin the dark sky view.

        In fact part of the whole point is for people to visually see the stars and milky way gradually coming into view as the moon eclipses - it is the contrast between the conditions that should be interesting. The dark sky all night long from Nevada, miles from anywhere, stopping of course in Reno to gamble... that's next summer's trip. :-)

        >Consider going to Fremont Peak State Park. The peak is high enough >and still reasonibly dark. There us a motel down near San Juan >Bautista I think.

        Had thought about Fremont Peak but worry it is still too close to lights from San Jose and Soledad prison. Do you have any sense of that vs. central San Benito Co.?

        Not everyone in SFVS is a youngster who doesn't mind just curling up on the ground in a sleeping bag - even I would not relish the idea. Ugh I would wake up all sore.
      • Duende
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8 9:16 AM

          > In fact part of the whole point is for people to visually see the
          > stars and milky way gradually coming into view as the moon eclipses
          > - it is the contrast between the conditions that should be
          > interesting.

          Concerning contrast, I was stationed in a remote area of Korea in
          1969. It was night time and a friend and I were laying on our backs
          on a small grassy knoll passing a joint back and forth while enjoying
          the stars. There was a sudden power failure and all the lights of the
          compound went out simultaneously. What had been a wonderful view of
          the night sky now jumped a zillion miles closer in an instant. We
          were both screaming and laughing in our bliss and have never been
          "right" since :-)

          Peace

          Duende

          "If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise
          they'll kill you."

          Oscar Wilde