Dark sky areas (for August vegan eclipse trip)

  • Dave Goggin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2007
      >Lake County is good for star gazing

      Some parts are. The main part of the county is heavily light polluted by Clearlake, Ukiah, Willits, etc. However Mendocino National Forest is a dark area and may be worth considering. The main worry is the low clouds - is it far enough inland that even on those really cloudy nights our view will not be spoiled? As compared to San Benito Co.?

      In fact if we are far inland and low clouds cover nearby coastal cities that will make it darker for us.

      >in SF the upper upper parking lot of Sea Cliff is the best
      >place in SF
      >
      >it's the same street as Seal Rock Inn it's a dark parking. If the
      >hotel is on your left, the entrance to the parking lot is to the
      >right.

      Another good place is the parking lot on Camino del mar near land's end.

      Alas, no place in SF is anywhere dark enough to really see the night sky as it is supposed to be seen.

      A future veg dinner party will feature a guest speaker on light pollution, its effects of people and animals, and how to advocate for better lighting.