Re: Anyone with contacts in San Benito Co.?

  • sunny_outdoors
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
      Lake County is good for star gazing

      in SF the upper upper parking lot of Sea Cliff is the best place in SF

      it's the same street as Seal Rock Inn it's a dark parking. If the
      hotel is on your left, the entrance to the parking lot is to the
      right.

      It's a Federal Park and I don't have a name.

      --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, Dave Goggin <dave65536@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I am starting to look at light pollution maps to try to figure out
      where we can go that is a reasonable distance from the bay area for
      the August eclipse trip and unlikely to get clouded over.

      > Bad news - there is a vast swath extending far out from the Bay
      Area, Monterey, etc where light pollution is so intense that even
      with a long drive out "into the country" the view of the night sky is
      seriously degraded compared to what it should look like.

      > The only place I could find was the relatively sparsely populated
      area in San Benito Co. the area southeast of Hollister along road 25.

      > Question: Does anyone know this area well enough to recommend a
      hotel in Hollister, or have friends who live in the area where we
      could nap before & after our observing session.