Anyone with contacts in San Benito Co.?

  • Dave Goggin
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2007
      Hi all,

      I am starting to look at light pollution maps to try to figure out where we can go that is a reasonable distance from the bay area for the August eclipse trip and unlikely to get clouded over.

      Bad news - there is a vast swath extending far out from the Bay Area, Monterey, etc where light pollution is so intense that even with a long drive out "into the country" the view of the night sky is seriously degraded compared to what it should look like.

      The only place I could find was the relatively sparsely populated area in San Benito Co. the area southeast of Hollister along road 25.

      Question: Does anyone know this area well enough to recommend a hotel in Hollister, or have friends who live in the area where we could nap before & after our observing session.

      Thanks, -DG
    • sunny_outdoors
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2007
        Lake County is good for star gazing

        in SF the upper upper parking lot of Sea Cliff is the best place in SF

        it's the same street as Seal Rock Inn it's a dark parking. If the
        hotel is on your left, the entrance to the parking lot is to the
        right.

        It's a Federal Park and I don't have a name.