My response from Panera

  • grnflea@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2007
      I wrote Panera after seeing many items listed as vegan that had honey
      in them. Please comment. I've never heard of the vinegar or yeast
      definition.

      I'd be interested in your comments, and I hope they change their
      labeling.

      Dear Kimberly,
      Thank you for contacting us. There are many definitions of "Vegan."
      The
      definition we follow means foods with NO animal products: NO meat,
      poultry,
      fish, eggs, dairy (including whey and casein) nor their by-products.
      While some
      strict "Vegans" may avoid honey, white sugar, beer, vinegar and yeast,
      these
      ingredients are not included in our definition. Regardless, I will be
      happy to
      forward your comments to our product development department for
      consideration.

      Thank you again for contacting us. We appreciate your business and
      value your
      comments.
      Sincerely,
      Pat