Green Party Platform on Animal Rights -- Another reason to vote for Matt on Tuesday

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2003
      Another reason to vote for Matt on Tuesday:

      If Matt Gonzalez is elected Mayor of San Francisco next Tuesday, he'll be
      bound to a California Green Party Platform that includes three sections on
      animal rights. Thanks to the exceptional help of Greens For The Ethical
      Treatment Of Animals, (a statewide animal rights group within the Green
      party that I organized back in the early 90's), including wonderful work by
      local activist Lindsay Vurek, Scottish Green Simon Dresner and the late,
      great Bay Area activist Polly Strand, almost all of the animal rights
      platform sections that I wrote were adopted by the party. The three
      platform sections on animal rights are entitled Wildlife, Animal Farming,
      and The Ethical Treatment of Animals (all reprinted in their current form in
      full at the end of this message).

      The platform sections include several planks that support outlawing fois
      gras in San Francisco:

      "The Green Party advocates humane treatment of farm animals." [Animal
      Farming]

      It calls for our society to "[r]apidly phase out factory farming and the
      inhumane treatment of food animals, as other countries are already doing."
      [Animal Farming]

      And it calls for us to "[i]mmediately end the abuse of animals, including
      farm animals, and strengthen our enforcement of existing laws." [Ethical
      Treatment of Animals]

      The platform also includes a plank that supports terminating the cruel
      slaughter methods used at the live animal markets in Chinatown and
      Fisherman's Wharf:

      It calls on society to "[r]egulate the domestic transportation and slaughter
      of animals to insure humane treatment," and "[r]apidly phase out factory
      farming and the inhumane treatment of food animals . . . " [Animal Farming]

      Finally, the California Green Party's platform specifically supports a
      vegetarian diet:

      "In the interests of the environment, health and non-violence, we recognize
      the value to individuals in adopting a vegetarian diet or even a strict
      vegan one." [Animal Farming]

      The platform calls on our society to "[i]nitiate public education to
      encourage people to reduce their consumption of animal foods, including
      information on healthy vegetarian diets. We should make vegetarian meals
      available in all public institutions including primary and secondary
      schools." [Animal Farming]

      If you live and vote in San Francisco and you want to see these platform
      planks brought to life, don't forget to vote on Tuesday. If you consider
      yourself a pragmatic centrist, not a progressive, and you make up your mind
      issue by issue, don't be fooled by Newsom's "centrist" label. When it comes
      to animal issues, he's out of the loop. I know that a vote for Matt doesn't
      guarantee that we'll achieve our cruelty-free goals, but a vote for Newsom
      or no vote at all (if you would have voted for Matt) guarantee that we won't
      even have a chance when it comes to animal issues for the next four years.
      Matt has already come out in favor of outlawing fois gras and he led the
      drive to make animal "owners" also "guardians" in San Francisco. The latest
      poll shows him ahead by 52-48%. That means that he, and the animals, can
      win if, and only if, his supporters go to the polls and vote on Tuesday.
      So, if you vote for the animals, whether you consider yourself right, left
      or center, please vote for Matt Gonzalez for Mayor. It's going to be a
      close election and every vote counts - especially yours!

      CALIFORNIA GREEN PARTY PLATFORM SECTIONS: (From the California Green Party
      web site)

      WILDLIFE

      As Greens, we believe that humanity should share the planet with all its
      other species.

      Our continuing destruction of animal habitats threatens an ever-growing
      number of species with extinction. This not only deprives these species of
      their existence, but will deprive future human generations of the enrichment
      of having these species on the Earth.

      For this reason, we emphasize the importance of protecting endangered
      species and their habitats. All policies concerning human settlement, food,
      energy, natural resources, water (fresh and saline), coastal development and
      industrialization should be formulated to prevent further disruption of the
      non-human ecosystems' ability to maintain themselves.

      The Green Party advocates policies to defend wildlife:

      Ensure the protection of native animals and plants in their natural
      surroundings when planning economic developments.
      Re-establish habitats for wildlife instead of practicing game species
      management for maximum sustainable yields.
      Reintroduce native species to areas from which they have been eradicated.
      Eliminate predator control on public lands, and reintroduce native predators
      where they would contribute to a viable ecosystem.
      Stop any further drainage of wetlands and any further development of shore
      areas.
      Strengthen the Endangered Species Act, as has been recommended by the
      National Academy of Science.
      Educate ourselves about animal behaviors to overcome our culture's
      irrational fear of wildlife, and learn techniques of co-existence with other
      species.

      ANIMAL FARMING

      Animal farming must be practiced in an ethically and environmentally
      responsible way.

      The current treatment of animals on American farms is unacceptable for
      ethical, environmental and health reasons. More than half of the water used
      for all purposes, and 80% of all the grain grown in the U.S., is consumed by
      livestock. Animal farming is a major contributor to water pollution and the
      greenhouse effect through the vast amounts of animal waste and methane
      released into the environment.

      Grazing on public lands - called "welfare ranching" because it is largely
      subsidized by taxpayers - is causing serious damage to ecosystems throughout
      the western states. The factory farming of cattle, sheep and poultry is an
      extremely cruel, wasteful, unhealthy and polluting form of agriculture.
      Animals are kept in overcrowded, unnatural and unsanitary conditions,
      causing severe physical and psychological suffering. These conditions also
      cause diseases, so the animals then have to be given antibiotics. Animals
      are also given hormones to induce rapid growth.

      American consumption of large amounts of animal products causes much of our
      society's cancer, heart disease and other degenerative diseases. In the
      interests of the environment, health and non-violence, we recognize the
      value to individuals in adopting a vegetarian diet or even a strict vegan
      one.

      The Green Party advocates humane treatment of farm animals:

      Rapidly phase out factory farming and the inhumane treatment of food
      animals, as other countries are already doing.
      Prohibit feedlots and the routine use of hormones, antibiotics and other
      chemicals, such as genetically engineered compounds like BVT for cows.
      Ban the genetic manipulation of farm animals.
      Ban the exportation of live animals for overseas slaughter.
      Regulate the domestic transportation and slaughter of animals to insure
      humane treatment.
      Transfer the responsibility for enforcing animal welfare laws from the
      Department of Agriculture to an agency specifically created to protect
      animals and the environment.
      Eliminate all government subsidies, including water subsidies, that go to
      the meat, poultry and dairy industries.
      Terminate permits that allow livestock grazing on public lands.
      Initiate public education to encourage people to reduce their consumption of
      animal foods, including information on healthy vegetarian diets. We should
      make vegetarian meals available in all public institutions including primary
      and secondary schools.

      ETHICAL TREATMENT OF ANIMALS

      As Greens, we replace the traditional western belief that our species is the
      center of creation, and that other life forms exist only for our use and
      enjoyment, with an ethic that reveres all life. We don't believe that our
      species has a right to exploit and inflict violence on other creatures
      simply because we have the desire and power to do so. Our ethic upholds not
      only the value of biological diversity and the integrity and continuity of
      species, but also the value of individual lives and the interest of
      individual animals.

      Throughout history, humanity has exploited other animal species with
      enormous brutality. We have rationalized this through the belief that the
      rest of creation has been placed here only for our benefit.

      Animal experimentation is an unnecessary, ineffective, and inappropriate
      research method which must be terminated. For too long, our society has
      accepted the medical establishment's claim that animal experimentation is
      necessary, but volumes of evidence shows that not only do alternative
      testing methods exist, but they might, in fact, be safer and more effective
      in promoting human health.

      The Green Party advocates humane treatment of animals:

      Rapidly phase out all animal experimentation.
      Rechannel the billions of dollars disbursed annually by the National
      Institutes of Health for animal experiments into direct health care,
      preventive medicine and biomedical research using non-animal procedures such
      as clinical, epidemiological and cell culture research.
      Immediately outlaw the use of animals for consumer product testing, tobacco
      and alcohol testing, psychological testing, classroom demonstrations and
      dissections, weapons development and other military programs.
      Mandate clear labeling of products to tell whether they have been tested on
      animals and whether they contain any animal products or by-products.
      Establish procedures to develop greater public scrutiny of all animal
      research. The areas to be controlled should include the welfare of
      laboratory animals, and a halt to wasteful public funding of unnecessary
      research, such as duplicative experiments.
      Immediately end the abuse of animals, including farm animals, and strengthen
      our enforcement of existing laws.
      Immediately outlaw all commercial fur ranching and trapping, and the use of
      goods produced from exotic or endangered animals.
      Prohibit large scale commercial breeding facilities, such as "puppy mills,"
      because of the massive suffering, overpopulation and ill health such
      facilities produce.
      Subsidize spay and neuter clinics to combat the ever-worsening pet
      overpopulation problem that results in the killing of millions of animals
      every year. Where unwanted companion animals are being killed in shelters,
      we advocate mandatory spay and neuter laws.
      Ban the exploitation of animals in entertainment and sports, such as dog and
      horse racing, dog and cock fighting, fox hunting, hare coursing, rodeos,
      circuses and other such spectacles.