Re: [sfbaveg] kitten in the window at Macy's - NOT A BAD THING

  • Karen Witham
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2006
      Thank you to those who shared this and other additional information. I
      apologize to the person who pointed out to me that I was wrong about the
      street name I listed.

      I am very relieved to know that the SPCA is on-site and that this is an
      effort to promote adoption of homeless animals.

      However, I personally do not agree with putting pets in windows like
      presents, sometimes leading to, as someone posted, impulse buying of animals
      as gifts or for instant gratification without long-term consideration of
      life caring for a pet.

      I would think that cute, life-size photos of animals up for adoption with
      information leaflets in the store could do a very good job for the cause
      without product-izing pets or traumatizing young animals.

      Thanks again to those who replied.
      Karen

      >From: Moya Stone <agathasprose@...>
      >To: Karen Witham <karenwitham@...>, sfbaveg@yahoogroups.com,
      >sfveg@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [sfbaveg] kitten in the window at Macy's - NOT A BAD THING
      >Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:45:05 -0800 (PST)
      >
      >Hello Karen et al -
      >
      > Please don't jump to conclusions. The animals in the Macy's window
      >displays are from the SF SPCA. I volunteer for that event every year and
      >the animals are well cared for. They are checked on regularly and those of
      >us who volunteer outside the windows monitor the animals and go inside to
      >the Macy's SPCA office to let the caretakers know if an animal needs
      >something.
      >
      > I was there on Saturday afternoon working and all was fine w/the
      >kittens. I stopped by again Saturday night and I did not see anything
      >amiss.
      >
      > Macy's is doing a great thing for homeless pets - do not assume they
      >have a "lack of concern." As of Saturday, 151 cats had been adopted and 10
      >dogs and that's just from the window display since Thanksgiving. They
      >should be congratulated.
      >
      > I encourage you to go to Macy's, speak to the SPCA people and see for
      >yourself. This is not evil Macy's abusing animals - this is a really good
      >thing.
      >
      > Cheers - Moya
      >
      >Karen Witham <karenwitham@...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone --
      >
      >My partner told me that he saw a kitten in a window display at Macy's
      >(downtown SF) Saturday night -- alone and looking scared as passers-by
      >stopped to stare and take photos -- part of some kind of dollhouse exhibit
      >on the Sutter Street side.
      >
      >I planned to go over today to try to talk to a manager, but I wanted to
      >check with the list to see if anyone else had seen/heard of this and see if
      >perhaps we could get an activist or humane society organization involved to
      >help? I'm concerned for both the individual kitten as well as the message
      >being sent to the public about animals (and Macy's lack of concern for
      >them)
      >-- as we know but others apparently do not, animals are not decorations or
      >objects, but living creatures.
      >
      >Many thanks -- Karen

      >Talk now to your Hotmail contacts with Windows Live Messenger.
      >http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://get.live.com/messenger/overview
      >

      >Our first duty to our little brothers and sisters, the animals, is never to
      >do them any harm. Our responsibilities do not end there, however. We are
      >obligated to help them whenever they require it. � Saint Francis

      >http://mail.yahoo.com

      Visit MSN Holiday Challenge for your chance to win up to $50,000 in Holiday
      cash from MSN today!
      http://www.msnholidaychallenge.com/index.aspx?ocid=tagline&locale=en-us