kitten in the window at Macy's

  • Karen Witham
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2006
      Hello everyone --

      My partner told me that he saw a kitten in a window display at Macy's
      (downtown SF) Saturday night -- alone and looking scared as passers-by
      stopped to stare and take photos -- part of some kind of dollhouse exhibit
      on the Sutter Street side.

      I planned to go over today to try to talk to a manager, but I wanted to
      check with the list to see if anyone else had seen/heard of this and see if
      perhaps we could get an activist or humane society organization involved to
      help? I'm concerned for both the individual kitten as well as the message
      being sent to the public about animals (and Macy's lack of concern for them)
      -- as we know but others apparently do not, animals are not decorations or
      objects, but living creatures.

      Many thanks -- Karen

    • rojony57
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2006
        I'm repeating this message as a Special Notice so this message gets
        more exposure.

        From:"Karen Witham" <karenwitham@...>

        Hello everyone --

        My partner told me that he saw a kitten in a window display at Macy's
        (downtown SF) Saturday night -- alone and looking scared as passers-
        by
        stopped to stare and take photos -- part of some kind of dollhouse
        exhibit on the Sutter Street side.

        I planned to go over today to try to talk to a manager, but I wanted
        to check with the list to see if anyone else had seen/heard of this
        and see if perhaps we could get an activist or humane society
        organization involved to help? I'm concerned for both the individual
        kitten as well as the message being sent to the public about animals
        (and Macy's lack of concern for them) -- as we know but others
        apparently do not, animals are not decorations or objects, but living
        creatures.

        Many thanks -- Karen
      • Doug Dyment
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2006
          Karen wrote:
          > My partner told me that he saw a kitten in a window display at Macy's
          > (downtown SF) Saturday night ...
          >
          > I planned to go over today to try to talk to a manager, but I wanted
          > to check with the list to see if anyone else had seen/heard of this
          > and see if perhaps we could get an activist or humane society
          > organization involved to help?

          This is an annual event at Macy's in San Francisco, currently in its 20th year. It is actually run by the SF/SPCA, and is part of their pet adoption program. The alternative for these animals is "disposal", so this is actually a good thing.

          More at: http://www.sfspca.org/volunteers/holiday_window.html

          ... Doug
        • RN