Courtesy of Veg News

  • rojony57
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2006
      1. This Just In: Kucinich for President in '08
      As we go to press for the Holiday VegNewsletter, we've just received
      word that former Democratic congressman Dennis Kucinich is running
      for president in 2008. This will be his second attempt at the office,
      and we hope his agenda for peace will make headlines throughout the
      country. He tells the New York Times that his early opposition to the
      war in Iraq, which he voiced strenuously in 2004, would make him more
      formidable in 2008.

      Did we mention Dennis is a long-time vegan?

      2. Our Favorite Soy Nog
      1 quart soy milk
      6 ounces silken style tofu, extra firm
      6 tablespoons maple syrup
      1/4 cup Amaretto, Southern Comfort, brandy, or alcohol of choice
      2 teaspoons vanilla
      1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
      1/2 teaspoon cardamom
      1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
      1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

      In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Chill
      before serving. Makes 5 cups.

      3. Recipe: Melt-In-Your-Mouth Vegan Fudge
      Sinfully rich and astonishingly smooth, this dairy-free fudge is not
      only delicious but very simple to prepare. If you're feeling really
      creative, add nuts, liqueurs or extracts for your own customized
      version. Wrapped in a box or tin, this fudge also makes a great
      homemade gift idea!

      8 ounces soy cream cheese
      4 cups powdered sugar
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      1 cup vegan chocolate chips

      1. Place the cream cheese in a food processor and blend until smooth.
      Add powdered sugar and vanilla.

      2. Melt chocolate chips in microwave or double boiler. Pour into food
      processor and process until blended.

      3. Pour into 8-inch square pan that has been lined with wax paper.
      Refrigerate until firm. Pull away wax paper lining, and cut fudge
      into bite-size pieces. Store in refridgerator in an airtight
      container. Makes 6 dozen small squares.

      This recipe is from a story entitled Cocoa Cravings by cookbook
      author Lois Dieterly, published in the November+December 2004 edition
      of VegNews.