URGENT: Letters & calls needed to protest chicken slaughter @ Urban Adamah in Berkeley

  • Judith Gottesman
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2014
      Anyone willing to protest at event and hand out vegan brochures?!?!

      http://urbanadamah.org/events/shechita-kosher-chicken-slaughter-workshop/

      Please call and email Urban Adamah director, Adam Berman, and the board, to protest, as well as write
      letters to the editor of the Bay Area Jewish paper.  (Email & phone #s, below)

      If enough letters are sent, they may do story on controversy.  So far, they just did big cover stories on how wonderful the
      director and Urban Adamah are and lots of donations are pouring in for an even bigger
      center where I'm sure they'll have even more goats and chickens killed.

      Shechita: Kosher Chicken Slaughter Workshop

      Date & Time
      May 4, 2014
      10:00 am - 1:00 pm

      shechita

      Our flock of laying hens has been generously sharing its eggs with us since Urban Adamah first opened its doors in 2011. Now they are getting older, and it’s time to begin a new flock.

      With gratitude in our hearts, we will facilitate a kosher slaughter of our 15 birds. Workshop participants will be intimately involved in the entire process and will be able to take home a portion of kosher chicken meat.

      Led by Zac Johnson, trained shochet and local Jewish educator & Willow Rosenthal, Urban Adamah Farm Manager.

      Call 510-649-1595, Urban Adamah, & urge them to stop killing animals ( goats & chickens)

      Email the founder/director:  Adam Berman

      Board members are listed on website with prominent members of the East Bay Jewish community.

      Send Letters to the Editor:

      Check out their "love, compassion, & justice" values on their website:
      About Us

      Urban Adamah is an educational farm and community center in Berkeley, California, that integrates the practices of Jewish tradition, sustainable agriculture, mindfulness and social action to build loving, just and sustainable communities. We provide educational programs and community celebrations for more than 5,000 visitors a year, as well as a residential fellowship program for young adults that combines organic farming, progressive Jewish living and social justice internships. Urban Adamah also offers innovative, farm-based programs for school-age children. Our organic farm produces a diverse yield of crops, all of which we donate to the local community through food banks and our weekly Free Farm Stand.

      “Adamah” Means “Earth” in Hebrew
      Our work is inspired by the core Jewish values of love (ahava), compassion (hesed) and justice (tzedek). These values inform all of our activities, which are designed to connect people to Judaism’s ancient wisdom and deep commitment to provide for others, nourish the soul and care for the earth.

      The Farm and Education Center
      Urban Adamah currently makes its home on a one-acre lot at 1050 Parker Street. We welcome visitors throughout the year, and offer an exciting menu of farm-based programs for school groups and organizations. We also host celebrations for most Jewish holidays, sustainability talks and workshops, a unique Shabbat service, Havdalah dance parties, a monthly gathering for women and girls and a whole lot more. Please check our program calendar for all upcoming events. We hope to see you on the farm soon!

      --
      Judith Gottesman, MSW
      Matchmaker and Dating Coach

      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

    • Vicky
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2014

        Is there any way this group would agree to sell these chickens? I would buy them myself. Maybe Animal Place could take some or all 15. Or perhaps United Poultry Concerns in Sonoma County. Any thoughts or ideas from SFVS people who are reading this?

        Vicky

        Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2014

          Judith
          Is there any way that the Urban Adamah could be persuaded to sell those chickens. I can purchase them. If so, perhaps Animal Place or United Poultry Concerns could help by offering sanctuary.