Re: fuel made with 100% veg oil

  • sunny_outdoors
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
      -
      sorry, the web site is not up to date

      I just checked yesterday, currently, the biodiesel made by the co-op
      is made from NEW veg oil. The reason for that, they want to make
      sure the biodiesel is not containmated in any way. (remember the
      City of Berkeley disaster? their garbage truck did not run at times
      due to bad biodiesel)

      Currently the biodiesel is selling for $3.92 per gal ($3.50 for
      volunteers which is the at cost price)

      In the future, if biodiesel is made with used oil and made in large
      quantities, it can cost under $2.50 per gal (even as low as $2)

      ===
      my car has been converted to run on straight veg oil.. and

      at times, my car runs on veg oil that were used to fry vegetables by
      local vegan/vegetarian restaurants (definately no animal products)

      thanks for your research Ellisa

      answer from Ellisa

      Thanks for getting back to me. That's unfortunate that they use new
      oil; hopefully they will be able to improve the technology in
      converting recycled oil so they won't have issues like they did in
      Berkeley (I wasn't aware of this - so appreciate the below). One of
      the fears is that farmers will grow crops for fuel instead of food
      and that could set a dangerous precedence. Good to see you are using
      recycled oil for the most part. If I had a car, would try to do the
      same.

      Cheers,
      Ellisa

      -- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, Ellisa Feinstein <ellisafeinstein@...>
      wrote:

      > According to SF Biofuels' web site, the oil IS made from recycled
      oil:

      > "We currently have biodiesel made from recycled vegetable oil from
      a plant in California."

      > Ellisa
      >
      > sunny_outdoors <sunny_outdoors@...>
      wrote: No animal products, not from