Re: [SFVeg] fuel made with 100% veg oil

  • Ellisa Feinstein
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
      According to SF Biofuels' web site, the oil IS made from recycled oil:

      "We currently have biodiesel made from recycled vegetable oil from a plant in California."

      Ellisa

      sunny_outdoors <sunny_outdoors@...> wrote: No animal products, not from rendered animals or dinosaurs

      http://www.sfbiofuels.org/index.html

      currently the biodiesel from the SF Co op is made with new oil, not recycled
      oil

      just so happens, Board Members and key volunteers of the groups has
      vegetarian members.. Ben, Bill, Sunny etec..

      ==

      You must have a diesel car to use biodiesel

      In case anyone is wondering.

      signature:

      I am unable to receive your emails during work hours.

      By the way,...I don't pay for gas, cause my car runs on used vegetable oil
      from restaurants.

      sign, Sunny

    • sunny_outdoors
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
        -
        sorry, the web site is not up to date

        I just checked yesterday, currently, the biodiesel made by the co-op
        is made from NEW veg oil. The reason for that, they want to make
        sure the biodiesel is not containmated in any way. (remember the
        City of Berkeley disaster? their garbage truck did not run at times
        due to bad biodiesel)

        Currently the biodiesel is selling for $3.92 per gal ($3.50 for
        volunteers which is the at cost price)

        In the future, if biodiesel is made with used oil and made in large
        quantities, it can cost under $2.50 per gal (even as low as $2)

        ===
        my car has been converted to run on straight veg oil.. and

        at times, my car runs on veg oil that were used to fry vegetables by
        local vegan/vegetarian restaurants (definately no animal products)

        thanks for your research Ellisa

        answer from Ellisa

        Thanks for getting back to me. That's unfortunate that they use new
        oil; hopefully they will be able to improve the technology in
        converting recycled oil so they won't have issues like they did in
        Berkeley (I wasn't aware of this - so appreciate the below). One of
        the fears is that farmers will grow crops for fuel instead of food
        and that could set a dangerous precedence. Good to see you are using
        recycled oil for the most part. If I had a car, would try to do the
        same.

        Cheers,
        Ellisa

        -- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, Ellisa Feinstein <ellisafeinstein@...>