fuel made with 100% veg oil

  • sunny_outdoors
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
      No animal products, not from rendered animals or dinosaurs

      http://www.sfbiofuels.org/index.html

      currently the biodiesel from the SF Co op is made with new oil, not recycled
      oil

      just so happens, Board Members and key volunteers of the groups has
      vegetarian members.. Ben, Bill, Sunny etec..

      ==

      You must have a diesel car to use biodiesel

      In case anyone is wondering.

      signature:

      I am unable to receive your emails during work hours.

      By the way,...I don't pay for gas, cause my car runs on used vegetable oil
      from restaurants.

      sign, Sunny

    • Ellisa Feinstein
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
        According to SF Biofuels' web site, the oil IS made from recycled oil:

        "We currently have biodiesel made from recycled vegetable oil from a plant in California."

        Ellisa

        sunny_outdoors <sunny_outdoors@...> wrote: No animal products, not from rendered animals or dinosaurs

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
          -
          sorry, the web site is not up to date

          I just checked yesterday, currently, the biodiesel made by the co-op
          is made from NEW veg oil. The reason for that, they want to make
          sure the biodiesel is not containmated in any way. (remember the
          City of Berkeley disaster? their garbage truck did not run at times
          due to bad biodiesel)

          Currently the biodiesel is selling for $3.92 per gal ($3.50 for
          volunteers which is the at cost price)

          In the future, if biodiesel is made with used oil and made in large
          quantities, it can cost under $2.50 per gal (even as low as $2)

          ===
          my car has been converted to run on straight veg oil.. and

          at times, my car runs on veg oil that were used to fry vegetables by
          local vegan/vegetarian restaurants (definately no animal products)

          thanks for your research Ellisa

          answer from Ellisa

          Thanks for getting back to me. That's unfortunate that they use new
          oil; hopefully they will be able to improve the technology in
          converting recycled oil so they won't have issues like they did in
          Berkeley (I wasn't aware of this - so appreciate the below). One of
          the fears is that farmers will grow crops for fuel instead of food
          and that could set a dangerous precedence. Good to see you are using
          recycled oil for the most part. If I had a car, would try to do the
          same.

          Cheers,
          Ellisa

          -- In SFVeg@yahoogroups.com, Ellisa Feinstein <ellisafeinstein@...>