Vegan Pho Soup
Vegan Pho Light, satisfying, and just as spicy as you like, this soup is the perfect way to transition to cooler autumn weather. Pho is a rich Vietnamese noodle soup traditionally made with beef. Cookbook author Robin Robertson's meatless version, enriched with dark miso paste, is made with seitan or "wheat meat," and its other specialty ingredients—such as dried rice noodles and hoisin sauce—are available in well-stocked supermarkets and Asian grocery stores. Top your bowl with fresh cilantro and basil leaves for a truly fragrant fall meal. For more delicious seasonal recipes, visit VegNews.com. Serves 4 What You Need:
8 ounces dried rice noodles
1 tablespoon canola oil
8 ounces seitan, drained and cut into strips
6 cups vegetable stock or water
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons miso paste
1/2 teaspoon Asian chile paste (or to taste)
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
3 to 4 scallions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
3 tablespoons basil leaves
What You Do:
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Turn off the heat, add the rice noodles, and let them sit for 30 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the seitan strips and brown on all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Bring the stock or water to a boil in a large pot. Add the onion, ginger, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in the lime juice.
4. Place 1/2 cup of the hot liquid into a small bowl. Add the miso paste and stir to blend well. Transfer the blended miso paste into the soup along with the chile paste, if using. Do not boil. Stir in the seitan and noodles.
5. Divide the soup among individual bowls. Add the bean sprouts, scallions, cilantro, and basil. Serve immediately.
More Food News!
Food: Amazing Vegan Wedding Menus
Food: 7 Steps to Becoming a Healthier Vegan
News: Men's Fitness Magazine Touts Veganism
News: The New Four Food Groups
News: Google: "We Need a Vegan Chef!"
Travel: USA Today: 10 Great Veggie Restaurants
Buzz: 25 Ways to De-Stress, Vegan Style
VegNews on Facebook: Best Almond Milk Recipe Ever
VegNews on Tumblr: No-Bake Raspberry Coconut Snowball Cookies
VegNews on Pinterest: Double Chocolate Orange Milkshake
VegNews on Instagram: Coconut-Based, Agave-Sweetened Ice Cream
What's Cooking: Double Cheese Lasagna
Find Us On
Our Website VegNews.com