personhood and rights

  • prolifedem1963
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2013
      Conservative pro-lifers, rather than look at animal rights, ceasing to kill animals, etc. (according to the law of karma) as the solution to the abortion crisis, sometimes argue that granting personhood to animals will distract from the personhood of the unborn and thus lead to a devaluation of human life. But then they are at a loss to explain their support for corporate personhood!

      A pamphlet distributed by Milwaukee SOUL (Save Our Unwanted Lives) points out that under current U.S. law, corporations are considered legal persons, while humans in prenatal development are denied this moral status. (reprinted in Pro-Life Feminism: Different Voices, 1985)

      In a 1989 article appearing in The Animals' Voice Magazine, Presbyterian minister and environmental activist Richard Cartwright Austin similarly discussed proposals to amend the Constitution:

      "It is time to affirm that all creatures within the boundaries of our nation deserve constitutional recognition, and that rights extend beyond the human community...

      ''To secure their rights within our legal system they would, of course, require human agents willing to argue their case, just as agents now represent the perceived interests of infants, the comatose, and others who cannot speak on their own behalf.

      ''Corporations, which are legal constructions and not natural beings, have standing in court to protect their interests now...

      "A constitutional amendment to recognize the rights of a vast new constituency -- all God's creatures -- will not succeed without broad popular support. Animals ask us for considerate treatment and the earth cries for loving care."

      Austin's words reflect the rising tide of environmental concern in America and the emergence of an animal liberation theology.

      --Vasu

      vasumurti@...