"Mindful struggling with 'karma' in my food": "sustainable agriculture"

  • Maynard S. Clark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2013
      MSC to Vasu Murti: Lots of important issues in this posting, Vasu.  Thank you.  I count a total of 358 e-mails from you with your thoughtful writings.  Again, thank you!

      Comments on Article:
      The 'karma' of killing field animals (through our default to whatever agricultural methods of food production prevail at a time) is something which religious folk would want and need to ponder with some integrity, but what concerns me about 'thinking' through any topic is that IMO it usually involves mere 'sorting' of what mentations we already have on a topic.

      That phenomenological 'fact' (?) indicates to me that we all need to spend MUCH more time speed-reading SELECTED well-researched and well-written nonfiction on topics of historic perennial concern.

      Imagine my applying (yet again) to Harvard Divinity School (or some other 'religious thinktank') with the notion that I'm struggling with 'karma' in my food [and their rushing to say to me: "Yes, you can study that right here!" (a) because my matriculation means money to them, (b) though it 'externalizes' the RESULTS of my reflection to the surrounding social culture.].

      There MUST be a 'circumstance' in which these ethical, moral, spiritual issues emerge,and that allows even those trying to think as 'Biblical' to consider the issues!

      Maynard

      Speaking of 'circumstances', how do you feel about the greenhouse in the lower atmosphere?

      On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM, <vasumurti@...> wrote:

      A return to organic (pesticide-free) farming means fewer insects are killed. Vegan author John Robbins advocates a return to organic farming in his 1987 Pulitzer Prize nominated, Diet for a New America, which documents environmental devastation as the collective karma for killing animals.

      Wouldn't sustainable agriculture have to be vegan? I'm not saying we should be "keeping up with the (vegan) Catholics" but Srila Prabhupada taught us that abortion and war are the collective karma for killing animals.

      During the Vietnam War, Srila Prabhupada scoffed at the peace activists and hippies. He did not say, "Yes, in the 11th Canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam, Lord Krishna tells Uddhava, 'this human form of life is dear to Me,' so let's first end the Vietnam War because human beings are being killed, and then we'll shut down the slaughterhouses..."

      We can't stand up to "meat-eating pacifists," "meat-eating environmentalists," "meat-eating anti-hunger activists," or "meat-eating pro-lifers" if we ourselves are killing cows (by consuming commercial dairy products)!

      My friend Tim Parks, a pro-life Christian said in 2005 that he thought the Dalai Lama was a hypocrite for saying the people of Tibet have a "special dispensation" which allows them to eat meat! (Kind of like the gurus in our movement claiming the factory farmed cows will be blessed if their milk is offered to Lord Krishna?)

      As early as a 1982 issue of Back to Godhead, Hridayananda dasa Goswami was asking, "Is Something Wrong in the Right-to-Life Movement?" Haribol!

      --Vasu

      vasumurti@...