"Got Beer?"

  • prolifedem1963
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2013
      Around 1999 or 2000, there was a discussion on an email list for pro-life vegetarians and vegans regarding PETA's "Got Beer?" campaign.

      Parodying the dairy industry's "Got Milk?" campaign, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) campaign urged college students to drink beer (which is cruelty-free) in place of milk (which is not cruelty-free).

      PETA took a lot of flack for this campaign, especially from groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)!

      I commented that while I disagreed with PETA's approach, I understood their point: distinguishing between a harmless recreational activity (drinking a beer) Vs unnecessarily torturing or killing animals (consuming dairy products -- although the analogy of circuses, or animal experimentation makes this point clear).

      G.K. Chesterton would have understood PETA's point. Often at odds with his nemesis, George Bernard Shaw, a vegetarian and a teetolaler, Chesterton, a Christian, once admitted:

      "There is a very strong case for vegetarianism as compared with teetolalism. Drinking one glass of beer cannot by any philosophy be drunkenness; but killing one animal can, by this philosophy, be murder."

      --Vasu