Re: [SFVeg] soy article from Sunday's Chronicle

  • Sam Halsey
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2006
      Dear Karen,

      There is a good article in one of Dr Mcdougall's Newletters entitled
      "Soy � Food, Wonder Drug, or Poison?"(see link below):

      http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/april/050400pusoy.htm

      In general it is best to stick to whole foods, like the soy bean,
      rather than processed soy stuff ie. fake foods.
      I especially like the chart showing the fat and protien content, with
      the heading:
      Soybeans Are Nutritionally between a Bean and a Nut

      Peace,

      sam

      sam halsey
      samhalsey@...
      (415) 309-1879

    • yarrow@sfo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2006

        Sam Halsey <samhalsey@...> wrote:
        >There is a good article in one of Dr Mcdougall's Newletters entitled
        >"Soy – Food, Wonder Drug, or Poison?"(see link below):

        35 grams a day? or the 50-100 recommended by
        huckster/quack Sears? No. That much *protein* per
        day is far too much, and from one source
        certainly excessive.

        I agree with McDougall's position -- use in
        moderation primarily as a whole food. I think one
        of the guidelines is to eat no more than 5-10
        grams of soy protein a day, comparable to what
        Asians eat in tofu-eating countries.

        So if I have soy yogurt in the morning, I don't
        have soy ice cream later in the day. Or I have
        either soy yogurt or soymilk with breakfast, but
        not both. One Thanksgiving, I had been planning
        to make a soy-based pumpkin pie for a small
        dinner with friends until I found out that
        someone else was bringing tofurkey, so I changed
        to a nonsoy recipe at the last minute. Or if I
        have a soy-based main course for dinner, I avoid
        soy products the next few days.

        I also like (and usually but not always follow)
        voice-of-reason Marion Nestle's guideline to eat
        no prepared foods that have more than 5
        ingredients. Of course, this applies more to
        snack-type foods than to foods made from
        wholesome ingredients.

        Bigger issues with actual public-health
        ramifications (and which I have not seen covered
        in the scare-of-the-day popular press) are

        -- the predominance of corn in the standard
        American diet, particularly in junk food and fast
        food, as pointed out by Michael Pollan in his
        recent book, The Omnivore's Dilemma.

        -- the fact that milk protein is the most
        carcinogenic substance known, as pointed out by
        Colin Campbell in his recent book, The China
        Study. Setting up soy formula vs. dairy-based
        formula is a paper tiger unless the risks of all
        ingredients are known, and I have never seen a
        discussion of formula that even mentions these
        risks from cow's milk.

        Tanya