SFVS CELEBRATES Response to Digest Number 2917

  • Dixie Mahy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2013
      SAN FRANCISCO VEGETARIAN SOCIETY CELEBRATES!
      A Response to David archierieus DIGEST NUMBER 2917 #4b
      SFVS has been celebrating various historical figures or holidays since its inception.
      We are very ecumenical, as long as it is vegetarian/vegan.

      At our Annual Holiday Potlucks in December, we celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, & Winter Solstice.
      We celebrate Chinese New Year.
      We have marched in the St. Patrick's Day & Cinque de Mayo Parades with our SFVS banner & signs.
      We recently marched in the Cesar Chavez Parade where we had an info table at the festival following the parade.  Ms Broccoli (AKA Rasa Vitalia)  & I (at 79) led a contingency of SFVS members with our signs, "Cesar Chavez A Vegan Humanitarian" and our SFVS banner.
      We also have had various Vegan Jewish Holiday Demos.
      Celebrating Buddha's birthday organized by Dave Goggin is consistent with our ecumenical tradition.

      We love to celebrate with our Vegan Ideals & Food wherever & whenever we can.

      We'd be glad to celebrate St. Francis' BD or any other vegetarian historical or religious figure's special day if someone would like to organize it.

      Our upcoming Spring Potluck features Ayurvedic principles from East Indian traditions.

      Potluck, 6 p.m. & Free Talk on *Ayurveda by Dr. Vaidya Priyanka, 7 p.m., Sunday. May 25

      Fort Mason, Building C, Room 230, Laguna & Marina Streets, San Francisco

      $2 with food enough to serve 10 persons; $12 without food.  Vegan dishes preferred.
      RSVP appreciated: 415-273-5481.
      *Ayurveda provides both curative and preventive measures towards optimal physical, mental, and spiritual well-being.  The word “Ayurveda” is from the ancient Indian language, “Sansckrit”, and literally means “Knowledge of Life”.  Inherent in Ayurvedic principles is the concept that you are capable of taking charge of your own life and healing.
      Dr. Vaidya Priyanka comes from 719-year-old lineage of women Ayurvedic & Marma Therapy Healers from Kerala, India.  In her practices all over the world, she teaches the principles of Ayurveda and how to integrate the various applications of this ancient science alongside nutritional supplements of the West – medicated oil applications, aromatherapy, color therapy, yoga, nutrition, music, cooking, dance, exercise, meditation, chanting, healing cuisine, meditation, internal cleansing, detoxification, & rejuvenation for restoration of health – into people’s daily lifestyles as part of their own healing journey.  She likes to heal through vegan food and has launched her own cuisine called aumcuisine with videos on YouTube.  She teaches very exquisite cooking classes with a high focus on therapeutic and nutritional content of the ingredients.  She has a private practice in India, Europe, and the Americas helping people live healthier and happier lives through Ayurveda.

      Dixie Mahy

      President

      San Francisco Vegetarian Society

      On May 4, 2013, at 4:42 AM, SFVeg@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      9 New Messages

      Digest #2917

      Messages

      Fri May 3, 2013 10:02 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "sunny_outdoors" sunny_outdoors

      everyone, come meet Liz, she's one of the organizers and she's veg..

      I was active in this group, unfortunately, I don't think anyone from this list came out to volunteer ....

      I didn't see you guys at meetings..etc. .

      anyway, SF got the most votes banning GMOs

      let's get the other counties to realize Monsanto is so evil

      --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups. com, Dixie Mahy <dixiemahy@ ...> wrote:

      > MARCH AGAINST MONSANTO May 25, 2013 at noon
      > > From: Label GMOs SF <labelgmossf@ ...>
      > > Come out and be heard. And help spread the word.
      > >
      > > Hello friends,
      > >
      > > Here's a little update from last week's planning meeting in
      > > preparation for SF March Against Monsanto 5/25.
      > >
      > > As it stands now, marchers are to meet 11am 5/25 at UN Plaza. The
      > > march will begin at 12:00 and proceed down Powell onto Market. Great
      > > attention has been given to planning a peaceful event in
      > > collaboration with local authorities.
      > >
      > > The organizers are looking for support with getting the word out
      > > (flyers, promotion, etc.), fundraising as well as reaching out to
      > > local tv / radio reports for positive coverage. Please have a look
      > > at the Facebook page to follow the effort and support this
      > > opportunity whenever you can. The whole world is working together
      > > stand up in support of our common cause.
      > > https://www. facebook. com/events/ 582233011810025/
      > > Contact the march Eric Eberman directly if you have questions or
      > > ideas to offer.
      > > Best,
      > > Monica, Ben & Liz
      >

      > > San Francisco Regional Coordinators:
      > > Ben Pittenger
      > > Liz Kroboth
      > >
      > > Label GMOs: Its Our Right To Know
      > > www.LabelGMOs. org
      > >
      > > Please "Like" us on Facebook: on.fb.me/LabelGMOsS F
      > > Please follow us on Twitter: Label_GMOs_SF

      Fri May 3, 2013 10:42 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Michelle Waters" flyingcat95033

      I'm really looking forward to the march. If anyone wants to carpool from the south bay, let me know. I'm in Los Gatos and can fit three other people in my car.
      Michelle

      ____________ _________ _________ __
      everyone, come meet Liz, she's one of the organizers and she's veg..

      I was active in this group, unfortunately, I don't think anyone from this list came out to volunteer ....

      I didn't see you guys at meetings..etc. .

      anyway, SF got the most votes banning GMOs

      let's get the other counties to realize Monsanto is so evil

      --- In SFVeg@yahoogroups. com, Dixie Mahy <dixiemahy@ ...> wrote:

      > MARCH AGAINST MONSANTO May 25, 2013 at noon
      > > From: Label GMOs SF <labelgmossf@ ...>
      > > Come out and be heard. And help spread the word.
      > >
      > > Hello friends,
      > >
      > > Here's a little update from last week's planning meeting in
      > > preparation for SF March Against Monsanto 5/25.
      > >
      > > As it stands now, marchers are to meet 11am 5/25 at UN Plaza. The
      > > march will begin at 12:00 and proceed down Powell onto Market. Great
      > > attention has been given to planning a peaceful event in
      > > collaboration with local authorities.
      > >
      > > The organizers are looking for support with getting the word out
      > > (flyers, promotion, etc.), fundraising as well as reaching out to
      > > local tv / radio reports for positive coverage. Please have a look
      > > at the Facebook page to follow the effort and support this
      > > opportunity whenever you can. The whole world is working together
      > > stand up in support of our common cause.
      > > https://www. facebook. com/events/ 582233011810025/
      > > Contact the march Eric Eberman directly if you have questions or
      > > ideas to offer.
      > > Best,
      > > Monica, Ben & Liz
      >

      > > San Francisco Regional Coordinators:
      > > Ben Pittenger
      > > Liz Kroboth
      > >
      > > Label GMOs: Its Our Right To Know
      > > www.LabelGMOs. org
      > >
      > > Please "Like" us on Facebook: on.fb.me/LabelGMOsS F
      > > Please follow us on Twitter: Label_GMOs_SF

      Fri May 3, 2013 10:02 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "sunny outdoors" sunny_outdoors

      I formed a Team called

      Go Veg!

      http://teambikechal lenge.com/

      This is opened to the public,
      jot down the miles you commute by bicycle to work, May 1 to May 31.
      Even if you bicycled a bit, you can join our team.

      On June 9 or 10,just show your team challenge printouts, you will receive a FREE burrito at CHipolte.

      All information is in the web site plus you get weekly updates on how to get your free vegan burrito and win prizes

      5 members per team,

      if you plan to sign up, pls email me privately where you live,
      so I can create more teams such as
      (or I can tell you to create your own)

      Go Veg!2
      Go Veg!3
      Go Veg! South Bay
      Go Veg! East Bay

      let's show the world, we are healthy, eco, animal loving people!

      We the true Eco folk by far!

      again, all the info is the above web site
      if you can't find the info you need , pls email me privately
      thru yahoogroups or

      sunny_outdoors   <at> yahoo  <dot>  com

      I hope to have around 8 people...at least..
      so far 2 veggies signed up

      sign, Sunny
      SIGNATURE:
       Human hunger: Did you know..." More than 90% of soybeans, 80% of corn and 70% of grain grown in the US goes to feed livestock! 800 million more people could be fed if the grain fed to livestock was used to feed people." (David Pimentel, Professor of Entomology, Cornell University.)
      *********
      we lost to Monsanto and Dupont, but we are going to get smarter in getting rid of of u in our bodies
      ==
      farm fishing is bad in many ways
      http://www.salmonai d.org/index. php/education/ why-eat-wild- salmon.html
      and there's not enough wild salmon or fish to go around....in 10 years!

      Fri May 3, 2013 10:10 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "jcadiz2002" jcadiz2002

      3rd Annual Dinner Celebrating Buddha's Birrthday,
      Saturday, May 18, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
      Thai Idea Restaurant
      710 Polk Street (between Ellis & Eddy Streets)
      San Francisco

      PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION:
      MUNI #47 or 49 on Van Ness, walk 1 block east to Polk & north 1/2 block to Thai Idea or take #19 Polk.

      $21 includes tax & tip. Space limited. Advance check reservations required.

      Send check made out to SFVS with your name & phone number or e-mail for confirmation no later than May 11:

      SFVS
      c/o Joseph Cadiz Treasurer
      73 Rondel Place
      San Francisco CA 94103

      Without advance payment, $24 at the door with RSVP 415-273-5481 by May 15 for accurate count of guests.

      VEGAN Menu:
      Satay Chicken, Crab Cakes, Larb, Pad Thai w/Shrimp; Spicy Fried Rice w/Tofu; Red Curry w/Beef, Bangkok Duck, Pad Ginger w/Chicken; Vegetable Combination; Brown Rice. Deserts & Drinks are not included in the price. Note: some peanut residue may be present in some items for those who are allergic.

      Fri May 3, 2013 2:08 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Dave" archierieus

      RE: The Buddha's Birthday dinner . . . is there now a tradition for SFVS to have celebrations for various religious leaders, or historical figures?

      Dave