For rent: quiet 2-room suite w/private bath - veggie house nr Berkeley/Rockridge

  • trevorlevine
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2006
      This is an opportunity to have a 2-room suite with a private bathroom,
      sharing a newly remodeled flat with one man, one woman, and an
      affectionate male cat named Friendly. (One more cat might be OK, but
      no dogs.) Our household is green-conscious, non-smoking, shoes-free,
      and 99% vegetarian. Available Sept. 1st (and maybe a little sooner).

      My name is Trevor. I own the house and share it with Meredith. (We are
      just roommates, not a couple.) We're looking for one more roommate. We
      are quiet, good communicators in our late 20's and early 30's. We want
      to share with one more person (not a couple).

      If you're interested, I'm open to reducing your rent in exchange for
      washing dishes, running errands, and doing domestic chores (but this
      is completely optional). The flat is newly remodeled and features:

      Refinished hardwood floors

      10' tall ceilings

      Victorian features

      Furnace that serves all rooms, so you'll never be cold in the winter

      Large yard area with potential for gardening.

      1500 square feet

      Large remodeled kitchen with stainless steel appliances, gas stove,
      granite countertop, skylights, tile floor, cherry cabinets, granite
      countertop, and a big pass-through window open to the living room.

      Kitchen is also equipped with a Vitamix, Multipure water filter,
      Cuisinart food processor, sprouter, and deyhdrator

      Remodeled bathroom with 6' tub, tile floor, glass sinktop

      Redwood deck

      Attic space for storage

      Entertainment center with HDTV, Tivo, DVD player

      Easy to park on the street

      Your room features:

      Your own large private sunny bathroom with tub

      Your main room is medium (150 SF)

      Your second room is small (35 SF) -- it's a large walkin closet with
      an active DSL hookup. Has it's own window and ceiling light. Can be
      used as a computer room, and is also big enough for a queen size bed.

      Additional closet for your clothes

      Optional $800 queen size mattress if you need it

      The walls around your room have been filled with a special insulation
      to minimize noise

      About your new neighborhood: --------------------------------

      58th Street btwn MLK and Shattuck, near the Nomad Cafe

      Halfway btwn the Ashby BART and Rockridge BART stations
      17 blocks from Berkeley Bowl and Whole Foods
      7 blocks from the entrance to hwy 24

      Quiet street. Maccall is not a through street, so the only people who
      drive here are the neighbors.

      Most of the neighboring houses are owner-occupied. That means most of
      the neighbors are mature and stable people. It's not a transient
      neighborhood.

      About your new roommates:
      --------------------------------

      We usually go to bed between 11pm and midnight, and wake up between
      8:30-10am.

      Meredith is about to start her PhD in sociology at UCB. She's a
      Buddhist-leaning vegetarian, non-drinker, non-smoker, early to bed
      type. She's into biking, reading, travel, living abroad (most recently
      in London and Brazil), energy healing, yoga, music of all sorts, and
      dabbles in various art forms.

      Her overall goal in life is to develop her own awareness while at the
      same time being sensitive to those around her. She is very
      studious...lots of long hours studying or in the library.

      My name is Trevor and I'm a songwriter and ad copywriter. I'm also the
      home owner, and am overseeing new landscaping and exterior
      renovations. I work at home, but am out of town usually one week every
      month.

      When I'm home working, I need a pretty quiet space, at least up until
      7pm. However, the walls around my room have sound-proofing, so I'm not
      bothered by music at a moderate level.

      I often play piano in the evenings. My songs are reminiscent of Billy
      Joel, but more theatrical.

      My office assistant has an office that's detached from our house, but
      she comes in to use the bathroom and have short meetings with me (in
      my room) on weekdays up until 7pm.

      A house cleaner comes every two weeks to clean the common rooms. She
      charges $15/hour and usually runs $60-75. Your share will be about one
      third, but depends on whether or not you want your room cleaned.

      Other shared utilities are: PG&E, water, Comcast (if you watch TV),
      DSL (if you want web access). In the winter, you can reduce your share
      of the heating bill by lowering the amount of heat blown into your
      room by the furnace.

      What we're looking for in a housemate:
      ---------------------------------------- --------------

      You have a 9-5 job, or if not, you're pretty quiet before 7pm

      You wash your dishes right after using them

      If something is bothering you, you'll approach us to work out a
      solution (i.e. we don't want someone who's passive aggressive)

      You're mindful about closing doors and cabinet doors gently and
      quietly (not slamming them). If you get home late or leave early while
      one of us is still sleeping, you'll be as considerate as we are in the
      same situation.

      We'd most like to live with a health-conscious vegetarian. However, if
      you're a carnivore and we decide to live together, we'll ask that you
      order take-out food when you want flesh foods.

      If you want to cook fish/meat *very occasionally*, we're open to that.
      But there's no hood above the stove, and we don't want the house to
      smell like meat (or have grease build up in the kitchen) on a regular
      basis.

      Meredith doesn't watch TV, just an occasional DVD if she has time. I
      disconnected our TV service for the summer. Come September, I will
      again be addicted to certain TV dramas (like 24, Lost, and Prison
      Break), but we don't like living with a TV that's on for hours every day.

      If you watch moderate TV like me, or none at all, that's cool.
      However, if you have it on for hours every day, we'll ask you to keep
      it in your bedroom.

      We are looking for someone who can make a one year commitment. Please
      only reply if you can do that. The move in costs are 3x the rent
      (first, last, deposit).

      However, most of the things listed above are flexible, and the most
      important thing is that we find someone considerate and compatible.

      Barter potential:

      This is totally optional, but if you want to do any of the following
      for me, I'm open to reducing your rent in exchange.

      Preparing food
      Washing dishes
      Grocery shopping
      Domestic chores
      Running errands
      Handiman / fixup stuff

      I had this arrangement with the woman who's moving out, and she got a
      reduction each month ranging from $250 - $500.

      If you feel we'd be compatible, please email me to schedule an
      appointment. Thanks a lot.