Oakland Veg Week is April 22-28

  • Kristie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2013
      Join us to celebrate the second Oakland Veg Week. This week of empowerment will encourage Oaklanders to pledge to be vegetarian for the week of April 22-28, 2013. Oakland Veg Week will consist of a week's worth of events to help community members learn about the benefits of a plant-based diet to our health, the environment, and for animals.

      We strongly encourage people who are veg-curious to attend events. If you're already vegetarian or vegan, bring a friend who is not, and encourage them to take our week-long veg pledge: http://oaklandveg.com/sign-the-pledge/.

      Below is a listing of daily events:

      Monday, April 22, 2013
      What: Creating an Environment for Change with Dr. Milena Esherick.
      When: Monday, April 22, 7:00 p.m.
      Where: Whole Foods Market Oakland, 230 Bay Pl., Oakland, CA 94610
      Note: Space is limited. Please RSVP to ashley.erickson@... or call 510.834.9800 ext. 260
      Dr. Milena Esherick is a licensed clinical psychologist and the Director of the Wright Institute's Counseling Psychology program. For over 15 years she has worked in a variety of medical and behavioral health settings helping people achieve healthy dietary and lifestyle changes. Learn about the barriers to making dietary changes and simple tips you can apply to making lasting changes.

      Tuesday, April 23, 2013
      What: "Debunking the Myths of Veganism," a Talk by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
      When: Tuesday, April 23, 6:30 p.m.
      Where: Temescal Branch of the Oakland Public Library, 5205 Telegraph Ave., Oakland, CA 94609

      Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, The Compassionate Cook, is an author and educator dedicated to empowering people to make informed food choices, to debunking myths about veganism and animal rights and to giving people the tools and resources they need to reflect their values of compassion and wellness in their daily lives.

      Join Colleen for an inspiring and information-packed lecture that provides responses to everything from "I don't have time to chop vegetables" and "I tried being vegetarian, but I just craved meat" to "I could give up everything, except cheese" and "Vegans don't get enough protein." Q&A to follow, so bring all your questions!

      Wednesday, April 24, 2013

      What: Cooking class with Chef Alex Bury and shopping tour
      When: Wednesday, April 24. Store tour : 6-7 p.m. Cooking class: 7-8 p.m.
      Where: Whole Foods Market Oakland, 230 Bay Pl., Oakland, CA 94610
      Note: Space is limited. Please RSVP to ashley.erickson@... or call 510.834.9800 ext. 260

      Nutritional yeast, seitan, Veganaise. You're hearing about all these new products but may not know what they are or where to find them. Join us on a tour of Whole Foods so you can learn about new foods or healthier versions of familiar favorites and where to find them.

      Then come learn how to prepare a few delicious plant-strong foods with a cooking class taught by Chef Alex Bury. Alex was trained as a classical chef at the world-renowned Culinary Institute of America. In 2001, she and her partner opened a restaurant in Northern California called Sparks with an entirely plant-based menu. Sparks quickly became well-known for its outstanding food, even among non-vegans. She has taught healthy cooking techniques and recipes at Whole Foods Market, for the McDougall Program (a nationally renowned preventative health program), and for local groups and companies since 2000.

      Thursday, April 25, 2013

      What: Join Paul Shapiro, Vice President, Farm Animal Protection of the Humane Society of the United States as he discusses "The Right Climate for a Saner Diet."
      When: Thursday, April 25, 7-8 p.m.
      Where: James Irvine Foundation Conference Center, 353 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Oakland, CA 94612 (map)

      This Earth Day, with the prospect of meaningful climate change policy from Washington perhaps dim, it's time to recognize the important actions we can each take–every time we sit down to eat. Whether to protect the planet, prevent animal abuse, or improve health, our food choices have enormous power. In this talk, we'll hear why so many people and companies are making a shift toward a more plant-based diet, and how they're doing it.

      Shapiro has played an integral role in numerous successful legislative and corporate campaigns to improve the plight of farm animals.

      Shapiro's work has helped enact farm animal protection laws in California, Arizona, Michigan, Maine, Colorado, Oregon, and Ohio. He's also worked with dozens of companies, including some of the world's top retailers, to improve animal welfare in their supply chains.

      Thursday, April 25, 2013

      What: Forks Over Knives film screening
      When: Thursday, April 25, 6:30 p.m.
      Where: Whole Foods Market Oakland, 230 Bay Pl., Oakland, CA 94610
      Note: Space is limited. Please RSVP to ashley.erickson@... or call 510.834.9800 ext. 260

      Join us for a screening of Forks Over Knives, a film which examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods.

      Friday, April 28, 2013

      What: Off the Grid Lake Merritt @OMCA
      When: Friday, April 26, 2013, 5-9pm
      Where: Oakland Museum of California, 1000 Oak Street, Oakland CA, 94607

      Note: Some food trucks take cash only. Free entry! The food trucks line up on 10th Street between Oak and Fallon.

      Make a special visit to this weekly street food extravaganza during Oakland
      Veg Week and enjoy veg dishes and treats among the 10+ gourmet food trucks featured at Off the Grid's newest market location. Live music and semi-indoor dance floor, family-friendly activities like puppet-making, gourmet food vendors featuring cuisines from around the globe, and a beer and wine garden around the Koi Pond at the Blue Oak Cafe pop-up. The Oakland Museum stays open late until 9pm with half-price admission and special programming, too!
      More details coming soon. Check back soon for a special Veg Week menu available for download!

      Saturday, April 27, 2013

      What: Animal Place Field Trip
      When: All day Saturday, April 27
      Where: Animal Place Sanctuary, 17314 McCourtney Rd., Grass Valley, CA
      More info

      Animal Place is excited to invite the veg-curious at Oakland Veg Week on a bus trip to our Grass Valley sanctuary! For only $10, we bus you to our 600-acre sanctuary where you will enjoy time with the animals, a tour of the sanctuary and vegan farm, and vegan lunch and snacks.

      This is a chance to see who your actions support when you make kinder choices! Your included tour will allow you to meet and greet the cows, rub the bellies of some friendly pigs, hang out with the inquisitive chickens and turkeys, and interact with the sheep and goats. Learn the stories of the animals and how your actions make a difference in the lives of nonhumans. Get more info and buy tickets here: http://animalplace.org/2013-oakland-veg-week-animal-place-tour/

      Saturday, April 27, 2013

      What: Better than Grilled Cheese, a cooking class with chef and author Miyoko Schinner
      When: Saturday, April 27, 11:00 a.m.
      Where: Whole Foods Market Oakland, 230 Bay Pl., Oakland, CA 94610
      Note: Space is limited. Please RSVP to ashley.erickson@... or call 510.834.9800 ext. 260

      Join Miyoko Schinner, author of Artisan Vegan Cheese and co-star of Vegan Mashup, in exploring the exciting new world of vegan cheesemaking at home. You'll learn to make several heart-healthy, plant-based cheeses, including a thick and delicious Cream Cheese, Buffalo Mozzarella, Ricotta, and a smokey chipotle Queso for the best nachos ever! All of the cheeses are oil-free to boot!

      Due to limited capacity and popularity of this event, you must call to confirm your space. You can reach us at 510-834-9800 ext. 260 or email
      ashley.erickson@....

      Sunday, April 28, 2013

      What: A Whole Foods, Plant-Loving Cooking Lesson
      When: Sunday, April 28, 10:00 a.m.
      Where: Whole Foods Market Oakland, 230 Bay Pl., Oakland, CA 94610
      Note: Space is limited. Please RSVP to ashley.erickson@... or call 510.834.9800 ext. 260

      What really makes a plant-loving diet so healthy is the focus on whole food ingredients. The so called vegan "transition" foods are often loaded with unnecessary calories and lack many of the beneficial nutrients of whole, plant foods. In this cooking lesson, you'll learn how to make household favorites, without including plant-based meats, cheeses or butter. You'll also learn how to cook delicious plant-based desserts without using any extracted oils or sugars.

      Katelin Mae and Trish O'Keefe, are the founders of Sprout Wellness Center, a hub for women's wellness in San Francisco and the Bay Area. With a plant-based approach to food and lifestyle, Sprout Wellness Center is enriching the lives of women by making healthy living fun, easy and delicious.

      Katelin is also a Nutrition Educator at Sonoma State University, a culinary instructor at TrueNorth Health Center and assistant for Dr. McDougall's Health & Medical Center. She holds a Masters in Nutrition from Bastyr University and was trained as a doula through Natural Resources in San Francisco. Trish is a Registered Dietitian and author of the food blog, Dish by Trish. In 2012 she competed on "The Dr. Oz Show," winning the Calorie-Cutting Recipe Challenge. Before launching Sprout, Trish worked at Stanford University as a Wellness Advisor and Culinary Instructor.

      Sunday, April 28, 2013

      What: Grand Finale Celebration
      When: Sunday, April 28, 1-3 p.m.
      Where: Lake Merritt Sailboat House, 568 Bellevue Ave., Oakland, CA 94610 (map)

      You did it! Join fellow Oakland Veg Week pledgees to celebrate your week of healthy and humane eating at our Veg Week celebration party! We will enjoy delicious plant-strong foods. There will be samples from vegetarian businesses and the organizers of Oakland Veg Week will answer your questions about vegetarian eating.

      Please contact us with any questions about the events or Oakland Veg Week.

      Best,
      Kristie Middleton
      The Oakland Veg Team
      info@...