FW: World Wide Words -- Demitarian

  • arlen baden
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2013
      to me,until they give up the remaining 50%
      they're DUMMYTARIANS

      Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:07:46 +0100
      From: wordseditor@...
      Subject: World Wide Words -- 23 Feb 13
      To: WORLDWIDEWORDS@...

      WORLD WIDE WORDS NEWSLETTER
      Issue 820: Saturday 23 February 2013

      Online version| Home page| Contact me| Subscriptions| Surprise me!

      This mailing also contains a plain-text version. Settings in your e-mail viewer will determine which version you see by default.

      .

       Demitarian

      The UN Environment Programme published a study this week, entitled Our Nutrient World, which argues that people in the developed world eat far too much meat. Intensive meat production, it says, requires large amounts of fertilisers to grow grain for fodder, which leads to “a web of water and air pollution that is damaging human health”. Our lust for cheap meat is unsustainable, the study asserts, and fuels a trade in undocumented livestock and mislabelled cheap ready meals that has, for example, led to the current European horsemeat scandal.

      According to the lead author of the study, Professor Mark Sutton of the UK Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, one solution is for people to halve their consumption of meat, to become demitarians (a semi-blend of vegetarian with the prefix demi-, a half). Professor Sutton is credited with having coined the term, which first appeared in print in the title of the 2009 Barsac Declaration about ways to reduce usage of nitrogen fertilisers in Europe.

      Dr Sutton ... and the other scientists involved in the project have signed an agreement pledging to be “demitarians” or eat half as much meat. He said the idea was to encourage people to cut down rather than go vegetarian completely. “We are not saying do not eat meat full stop,” he said.
      Daily Telegraph, 11 Apr. 2011.

      He said a good aim was to be demitarian, halving the amount of meat normally eaten. This would also benefit health, as Europeans currently consume 70% more protein per day on average than is needed.
      MSN News, 18 Feb. 2013.

      About this newsletter World Wide Words is written, edited and published in the UK by Michael Quinion. ISSN 1470-1448. Copyediting and advice are provided by Julane Marx in the US and Robert Waterhouse in the UK. The linked website is http://www.worldwidewords.org.

      Subscriptions The website provides all the tools you need to manage your own subscription. Please don’t contact me asking for changes you can make yourself, though if problems occur, you can e-mail me at wordssubs@.... To leave the list, change your subscribed address or resubscribe, please visit the mailing-list page. You can also maintain your subscription by e-mail; to get a list of commands, send the list server the message INFO WORLDWIDEWORDS. This newsletter is also available as an RSS feed and via Twitter. Back issues are available on the website.

      E-mail contact addresses Comments on newsletter mailings are always welcome. They should be sent to me. I do try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing so. Items intended for the Sic! section should go to sic@.... Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be sent to wordsquestions@..., not to me directly.

      Support World Wide Words If you have enjoyed this newsletter and would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked website, please visit the support page.

      Copyright World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 2013. All rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists online provided that you include the copyright notice above and give the website address. Reproduction of substantial parts of items in printed publications or websites requires permission from the editor beforehand.