GMO & FDA

  • Dixie Mahy
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2013
      GMO & FDA UPDATE
      From Ocean Robbins

      On December 21, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was set to approve the first commercial production of a genetically engineered animal for human consumption.

      They initiated a two-month “comment period,” after which they fully intended to give the green light to genetically engineered salmon, often referred to as Frankenfish.

      But things didn’t go as planned. The FDA has been overwhelmed with more than a million comments and petition signers, many of them stressing massive health, environmental, and ethical concerns. Faced with such a deluge of response, the FDA decided this issue was hot enough that it warranted further examination, and has officially extended the comment period for another two months.

      2013 Food Revolution Summit speaker Andrew Kimbrell, founder of The Center For Food Safety, told me: “In all my years of organizing for sensible food policy in Washington, DC, this is the first time I have ever seen the FDA extend a comment period. This shows that the FDA is feeling the political pressure, and hopefully rethinking what looks like it would be a disastrous policy.”

      Alaska’s Senator Lisa Murkowski is one of the voices opposing approval. She says that genetically engineered salmon could decimate Alaska’s wild salmon population if (when?) they escape into the oceans. She commented: “I am proud that (we) have raised our voices and outrage to a level where the FDA relented and is giving us more time to further lay out the case against GE salmon.”

      Now you have until April 26 to make your voice heard.

      To sign a petition from Center for Food Safety, contact them at:

      http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=9138