Re: Foster City - smells from the 1950s-era landfills

  • Maynard S. Clark
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2013
      Over the years, Dixie, the BVS (the Boston Vegetarian Society) has had a number of events - some from my days leading it, and others after I left, including:
      • The Boston Vegetarian Food Festival (which I started outside BVS, through the Vegetarian Resource Center)
      • New Year's Day Dinner and Party (it grew into a family-oriented get-together with games
      • Walk-around of the local sites for vegetarian-based religions - ISKCON, SDAs, Hindus, Jains, etc. - they hosted the 'religious study group'  that was (ostensibly) 'looking for a religion' - with a vegetarian meal and a PITCH on why vegetarians OUGHT to look at them (and why looking to them for a 'spiritual home' for vegetarians was superior to those vegetarians finding a spiritual home elsewhere) - very interesting.  Sparsely attended.
      • Annual summer vegan picnic (often in state parks) - sometimes 2-3 in a summer
      • Hikes of various levels of intensity - some (less fit?) persons preferred 'easy strolls' to more strenuous hikes; others WANTED the harder hikes to casual walks with conversation
      • Guest lectures
      • Monthly educational seminars with dinners
      • Socials for the 'unattached' - 'mixers' for loners (never billed as a 'singles' event)
      • Workshops on vegan-lifestyle-related issues (e.g. organic gardening, growing 'super nutritious' vegetables
      • Special-interest subgroups
      • Visits to vegan food factories and businesses consciously marketing to vegetarians and vegans (soyfood production facility, vegan chocolatier, etc.)
      • Attending 'NATIONAL' and 'regional' events (together?) - NAVS Vegetarian Summerfest, animal rights events, etc.
      • Protesting meat industry propaganda
      • Great American Meatout (March 20) events and outreach
      • World Vegetarian Day (October 1) events and outreach
      • Earth Day (April 22) events and outreach
      My vegetarian meetups CURRENTLY do:
      • Dining out
      • Discussions (sparsely attended)
      • Tag-along events with other groups which EVENTS are vegan-friendly
      • Movie nights
      • Protests (Vegan standouts with the local MARC - Massachusetts Animal Rights Coalition), handing out 'Why Vegan?' and holding posters explaining 'why vegan?'
      I have repeatedly discovered what BVS President and Executive Director Evelyn Kimber discovered was a limiting factor for involvement: many (most) folks do NOT want to do any effort (including preparing potluck foods, doing readings, etc.).  A generation reared on TV and the movies wants to be given everything during the event, predigested for palatability, "enhanced" (like the President's SOTU online now) with PowerPoints and an outline, and lots of getting to know you events with people new attendees find attractive (and "promising").

      Hope that helps, Dixie.

      Maynard
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maynard S. Clark, MS (Management: Research Administration)
      Google Voice (617-615-9672) reaches all phones | GoogleChat: Maynard.Clark | Skype: MaynardClark
      RAC/GCRA, CIPP, RTP, NIH rDNA, REACH Intermediate certificates (+others)

      LinkedIn | ResearchGate | Academia.edu | Google+ | Xing | Blog Links Twitter | Facebook | Google Profile | VegWeb  | Wikipedia

      Welcoming connections on LinkedIn and FANS at Facebook

      On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Dixie Mahy <dixiemahy@...> wrote:
      hello Maynard

      I am sorry but I don't really know.

      also, I like postings of items out of city/state/ even country as I like knowing what is going on elsewhere.
      even if I can't go there, I can get ideas for SF EVENTS.

      keep in touch

      Dixie Mahy

      President

      San Francisco Vegetarian Society

      On Feb 17, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Maynard S. Clark wrote:

      I hope that this e-mail finds you well.

      Is there any truth to the rumor that residents of Foster Citym CA, are treated to smells rising from the 1950s-era landfill on which the City was built?
      I recall hearing that, and I've never been able to verify that claim, though

      The Wikipedia page doesn't mention or allude to it.

      And this Yelp page complains about OTHER landfills but does NOT mention Foster City; one Foster City resident says that it does NOT smell (at the time she lived there).

      Maynard