vegan John Mackey will be in Palo Alto, Jan 23

  • sunny outdoors
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2013
      this is a once in a lifetime event
      I'll be there!  wanna join us?
      let's go early to get a good seat.

      ===
      JOHN MACKEY

      - CEO & Co-Founder, Whole Foods Market
      - Author of Conscious Capitalism: A Whole-istic Approach to Capitalism

      John Mackey, iconic CEO and co-founder, is known for his all-natural approach to a mega chain of grocery stores, Whole Foods. His stores are, in part, credited with a boom in the healthy food movement where terms like “hormone free” are commonplace.

      He’s also taken the formula for conscious capitalism and corporate social responsibility to a whole new level and other businesses are following suit. Mackey discusses the transformative business movement where value rests on something more than just finances. Find out more about the Whole Foods story from the man himself.

      Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2013
      Time: 6:30 p.m. Check-In; 7:00 p.m. Program; 8:00 p.m. Book Signing
      Location: Oshman Family JCC, 3921 Fabian Way, Palo Alto
      Price: General: $12 Members; $20 Non-Members
      Premium: $40 Members & Non-Members (includes copy of book and reserved seating)

      For tickets call 1-800-847-7730 or register online at https://www.commonwealthclub.org/events/2013-01-23/john-mackey-whole-istic-approach-capitalism-sv

      sign, Sunny
      SIGNATURE:
      pls LIKE this, my friend posts new videos every day
      https://www.facebook.com/FrenchAmericantv
      *********
      we lost to Monsanto and Dupont, but we are going to get smarter in getting rid of of u in our bodies
      ==
      farm fishing is bad in many ways
      http://www.salmonaid.org/index.php/education/why-eat-wild-salmon.html
      and there's not enough wild salmon or fish to go around....in 10 years!
    • Rose
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2013
        I try to avoid Whole Foods whenever possible. I'd rather support worker owned co-ops and farmer's markets.

        What's wrong with Whole Foods?

        And this from NPR: "In fact, he's a self-styled libertarian: a vegan who sells sustainably raised meat, a man who compares the government's health care overhaul to "fascism" but wants to improve American diets."

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2013
          Greetings Veggie Friends,

          Since I live in Oakland (Rainbow Grocery is too far), I primarily shop at the Berkeley Farmer's Market but there are some things I unfortunately need to buy at Berkeley Bowl and Whole Foods Market.  I know individuals who work at BB and WFM.  Berkeley Bowl is also not unionized but their benefits appear to be very good, employees appear happier there, and when they are closed on several holidays (sometimes, 2 days in a row), their employees get paid.

          John Mackey and Whole Foods Market owners/management does not allow its employees to unionize, refuses to pay "overtime" and instead, offers an employee a "vacation day" when they are requested to work 6 days/over 40 hours a week, and has fired employees who were involved in the "People against Wall Street Movement" (can't recall their name).

          John Mackey seems to be an insensitive, manipulative, and greedy billionaire CAPITALIST who contributes to the violence of animals by selling meat, fish, and dairy products.  Nevertheless, I will continue to try to maintain an open-heart and mind toward all human and animal beings, including Mr. Mackey.

          Susanne