sign up for (City College) CCSF nutrition classes

  • sunny outdoors
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2013
      vegans , JT and CL  took the class

      sign up for a few classes before they cancel them..
      yoga classes are practicially free!

      support your local community college
      forward the schedules to your friends

      sign, sunny
      ===
      below is Janet Tom's comments on how to sign in for the class, and tips...

      CCSF's spring 2013 semester starts Mon. Jan. 14, 2013.

      The story is thousands of students are not coming to CCSF because of the bad press about the accreditation problem. I believe CCSF will get through it all right. They must give a big report to the accreditation board by March 15. So... CCSF is thousands of students short of its goal and because of this, they will lose $5m thereabouts from funding from the State. Faculty at CCSF want everyone out there to know CCSF is alive and well and we need students, so everyone, please take a class whether it's for fun like dance or exercise or to learn something academic, like health or nutrition. Credit classes cost $46 a unit. There are also non-credit classes which are mainly classes which give people skills with which they can get a job, for example, computer, consumer, the trades.

      Meanwhile there are some terrific classes to take for folks. For instance, Nutrition 12 is an excellent class to learn about what goes into our food and how our body digests it. This is the description:

      NUTR 12 Introduction to Nutrition (3)
      Lec-3
      Credit, Degree Applicable
      P/NP Available
      The nature and physiological roles of the dietary nutrients, their food sources and requirements. Relation of diet to health and disease, evaluation of dietary adequacy. Examination of current issues and controversies in nutrition.
      UC/CSU

      It is a 3-unit course. I recommend taking the class from Linda Bacon, who is a vegetarian and also a very honest, ethical person. She has written her own book, which costs about $25, compared to the mainstream textbooks the other instructors are using which cost over $100.

      Here is the schedule. Although all of the classes are closed, the trick is to go to the 1st, 2nd even 3rd class, because people will not show up on the first day, or after they hear about all the work that's required in the class, they may leave. Perservere, it is a brilliant class and you learn a lot. One thing good about Linda Bacon's class is: she tells it like it is, for instance, she shows the class the short film "Meet your Meat." She is very ethical so she does not do research that's funded by food manufacturers or companies.

      NUTR  12   Intro To Nutrition
         3.0
       30955 001 Lec M W F 09:10-10:00AM                          SCIE  A100  Bacon, L           Deadlines       Book CLOSED
       30947 002 Lec M W F 10:10-11:00AM                          SCIE  U302  Bacon, L           Deadlines       Book CLOSED
       32016 003 Lec  T R  08:10-09:25AM                          SCIE  A100  Bacon, L           Deadlines       Book CLOSED
       30962 004 Lec  T R  09:40-10:55AM                          SCIE  U302  Bacon, L           Deadlines       Book CLOSED
       31743 005 Lec  T R  02:40-03:55PM                          SCIE  U136  Tran, T            Deadlines       Book CLOSED
       30964 501 Lec  T    06:10-09:00PM                          SCIE  A100  Tran, T            Deadlines       Book CLOSED
       32373 502 Lec   W   06:40-09:30PM                          SCIE  A300  Pinna, K           Deadlines       Book CLOSED
       30971 503 Lec    R  06:10-09:00PM                          SCIE  A100  Tran, T            Deadlines       Book CLOSED

    • Brook
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
        I echo the call to support City College by taking courses and thereby
        supporting yourself as well. I teach American Politics there (POLS 1)
        from a progressive perspective and show Forks Over Knives for our health
        section.

        Peace,
        Dan