GMOs

  • Dixie Mahy
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2012
      Vote Yes on Prop 37
      You have a right to know if you are eating genetically engineered foods.
      From: Juice Lady:trinityretreat@...

      Did you ever think that as you are enjoying tortilla chips and salsa, enchiladas, or cornmeal muffins, you could be setting yourself up for a tumor?  Mounting evidence says you could.

      A two-year long French study found that rats fed Monsanto’s engineered corn developed massive breast tumors, kidney and liver damage, and other serious health problems. The major development of diseases occurred during the 13th month feeding period of the study.  Female rats that ate genetically engineered corn died 2-3 times more than controls, and more rapidly, while the males had tumors that occurred up to a year-and-a-half earlier than rats not fed GE corn.

      Results from a 10-year long study on rats, mice, pigs, and salmon, showed that genetically engineered food caused obesity, along with significant changes in the digestive system and major organs, including the liver, kidneys, pancreas, and genitals.

      Since the government refuses to mandate the labeling of GMO foods, our only defense is to avoid all corn and soy products (two of the biggest GMO crops in America)—unless the corn or corn product is organic.

      We must ask why we are growing engineered crops.  They do not produce healthy crops.  They are not pest-resistant, as we were told. The EPA admitted there is mounting evidence that Monsanto’s insecticide-fighting YieldGard corn is losing its effectiveness in the Midwest. Last year, rootworms resistant to the toxin in the genetically designed corn infested fields in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, and Nebraska.

      Genetically engineered foods are responsible for development of resistant weeds and pests; increased pathogenic virulence; degradation of soil quality; reduced nutrient content in food; exponential rise in infertility and birth defects; and reduced crop yields.